Beaches is a 1988 Academy Award-nominated movie adapted by Mary Agnes Donoghue from the novel of the same name by Iris Rainer Dart. It was directed by Garry Marshall, and stars Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey, John Heard, James Read, Spalding Gray, Lainie Kazan, Mayim Bialik and Marcie Leeds.
- (At 11 years of age) Leona, you've gotta stop - you're ruining my career!
- What the hell is this - a piano bar or a Nazi work camp?
- Harry, you're an angel. If your mother hadn't been such a bitch, we could've shared something important.
- He hates my hair!
- Sexual attraction has nothing to do with character. Unless you're Eleanor Roosevelt.
- (After slapping John's face on her wedding day) This is the happiest day of my life. I don't ever want you to forget it!
- (To her dog) Get back, you brain damaged bag of bones, or I'll have you gassed!
- But enough about me. What about you? What do you think of me?
- (To a film director) You've had your head in that frigging monitor the whole time - you haven't said anything about character or motivation. You could be watching a Laker game in there, for all I know!
- Look at this place. It looks like a flamingo threw up in here!
- I wasn't comfortable in the medium, y'know? So I broke the director's jaw.
- Are you ready for your radar, dear?
- I'm not stubborn, I'm.....right!
- And your talent, this incredible talent! I can't even yodel!
- Hillary: Then you want me to wait for you?
CC: Don't you really think you'd ought to wait? I mean, I am dressed like a rabbit.
- John: Why do you waste your time doing this?
- CC: I can't help myself. I love to get dressed up like a rabbit, and go out in public!
- John: Well, is there any place I can come and see your work?
- CC: I'll be at Gramercy Square Park this afternoon, in a chicken suit!
- CC: Harry, give us a hand with the bags.
- Harry: I've got a bad back.
- CC: Ah, you've got a bad attitude!
- Hillary: (Referring to a drunk outside CC's apartment): She could be dead!
- CC: Nah! If she was dead, she would've dropped the bottle!
- Doorman: Congratulations on winning the Tony Award.
- CC: Wasn't that something? Did you like my speech? I didn't mean a word of it! Did you see those other broads nashing their teeth? Ha ha, was great, wasn't it?
- Hillary: You did everything you said you were going to do - everything! And your talent - this incredible talent ... I can't even yodel!
- CC: Hillary, what's yodeling got to do with it?
- Victoria: You smoked when you were my age?
- CC: Sure
- Victoria: What else did you do?
- CC: Whatever they told me not to!
- Paradise has its price
- Innocence never lasts forever.
- Somewhere on this planet it must exist.
- Paradise Found - Innocence Lost
- It's the experience that matters
- It really was some kind of paradise
- Bette Midler - Cecilia Carol "C.C." Bloom
- Barbara Hershey - Hillary Whitney
- John Heard - John Pierce
- Spalding Gray - Dr. Richard Milstein
- James Read - Michael Essex
- Lainie Kazan - Leona Bloom
- Grace Johnston - Victoria Whitney
- Mayim Bialik - 11 year old C.C.
- Marcie Leeds - 11 year old Hillary
- Tracy Reiner - Department Store Clerk
- Jenifer Lewis - Diva
- Joe Grifasi - Otto Titsling
- Kathleen Marshall - Delivery Room Nurse #1
- Barbara Marshall - I.C. U. Nurse #2
- Scott Marshall - Car Rental Agent
- Hector Elizondo - Judge
- Garry Marshall - Audition Director
- Marc Shaiman - Pianist