Beasts of the Southern Wild
Beasts of the Southern Wild is a 2012 film about six-year-old Hushpuppy who, faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, must learn the ways of courage and love.
- Directed by Benh Zeitlin. Written by Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, based on Alibar's one-act play Juicy and Delicious.
- All the time, everywhere, everything's hearts are beating and squirting, and talking to each other the ways I can't understand. Most of the time they probably be saying: I'm hungry, or I gotta poop. [listening to bird's heartbeat] But sometimes they be talkin' in codes.
- I hope you die and after you die I'll go to your grave and eat birthday cake all by myself.
- I see that I am a little piece of a big, big universe, and that makes it right.
- Everybody loses the thing that made them. It's even how it's supposed to be in nature. The brave men stay and watch it happen, they don't run.
- Strong animals know when your hearts are weak.
- When daddy kill me I won't be forgotten. I'm recording my story for the scientists in the future. In a million years, when kids go to school, they gonna know: Once there was a Hushpuppy, and she lived with her daddy in The Bathtub.
- The whole universe depends on everything fitting together just right. If one piece busts, even the smallest piece... the entire universe will get busted.
- They think we're all gonna drown down here. But we ain't going nowhere.
- For the animals that didn't have a dad to put them in a boat, the end of the world already happened.
- Sometimes you can break something so bad, that it can't get put back together.
- When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me lying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard, it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece in a big, big universe. And that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy, and she live with her daddy in the Bathtub.
- My only purpose in life is to teach her how to make it.
- I'm your daddy, and it's my job to take care of you, OK?
- Lemme tell you somethin', when you're a child people tell you that everything's gonna be all hunky-dory and all that bullshit, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. So get that out your head right now. Life's some big old feast, yeah, but you? You ain't nothin' but a stupid little waitress. Everything you got on your platter gonna fall on the floor and ain't nobody gonna be there to pick it up for you. Someday it's all gonna be on you.
- Quvenzhané Wallis - Hushpuppy and Narrator
- Dwight Henry - Wink
- Jovan Hathaway - The Cook
- Levy Easterly - Jean Battiste
- Philip Lawrence - Dr. Maloney
- Gina Montana - Miss Bathsheba
- Lowell Landes - Walrus
- Jonshel Alexander - Joy Strong
- Marilyn Barbarin - Cabaret singer
- Kaliana Brower - T-Lou
- Nicholas Clark - Sticks
- Henry D. Coleman - Peter T