Beautiful Creatures (2013 film)
Beautiful Creatures is a 2013 American romantic fantasy film based upon the novel of the same name by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The film was adapted for the screen and directed by Richard LaGravenese and stars Alden Ehrenreich, Alice Englert, Jeremy Irons, Viola Davis, Emmy Rossum, Thomas Mann, Emma Thompson.
- Ethan Wate: I was losing my mind. Until I realized that would be no great toss. I start junior year tomorrow, so insanity's inevitable.
- Ethan Wate: I've been stuck my whole life in Gatlin South Carolina's least-famous middle-of-nowhere. By the time we get a movie, it's already on DVD. And our theater always gets the titles wrong.
We're too far away from Charleston to have a Starbucks. How sick is that?
We have 12 churches and one library with more banned books than books to read.
Same damn families have lived here for generations. They keep reenacting the Civil War like it's gonna turn out different.
- Ethan Wate: Mama used to say there's only two kinds of people in Gatlin: The ones too stupid to leave and the ones too stuck to move.
- Ethan Wate: I can understand why young men signed up for the Civil War. Anything is better than a life standing still.
- Ethan Wate: I'm a junior now... If I dress like I care, I lose credibility.
- Amma: You decide what colleges you applying to?
Ethan Wate: All of them, as long as they're a thousand miles away from here.
- Wesley Jefferson Lincoln: My mother... damned Daddy to hell so many times, I bet he drank just so he'd get there quicker.
- Savannah: I didn't hear from you once, but I was a good girl. I didn't call.
- Savannah: Ethan, baby, I wish you'd quit reading those kind of books. They're bad for your mind.
- Savannah: Mama says devil worshipers hate fresh air. Makes them choke.
- Teacher: And that hat's gonna look nice on my cat.
- Lena Duchannes: You know where you're going?
Ethan Wate: Rarely.
- Ethan Wate: Girls who once were human, but for whom absolute popularity has corrupted absolutely.
- Ethan Wate: Ha, ha, that was a dead-end conversation on a road going nowhere.
- Ethan Wate: I'm just sick of people in this town putting down someone they just don't know.
- Wesley Jefferson Lincoln: Hey, some girls are just mad dogs. You can either run or shoot.
- Emily Asher: I want you to know something. I still care deeply for you as a friend. And I pray every night that you don't go straight to hell.
Ethan Wate: Oh, I won't go straight to hell, Emily. I wanna stop off in New York first.
- Teacher: What do you think you're doing? You can't pray in class.
- Lena Duchannes: You can't help it.
Ethan Wate: Heh. What?
Lena Duchannes: Fitting in anywhere, drooling charm.
- Ethan Wate: All the books they let you read are, like, pretty boring, I guess.
- Ethan Wate: So I can stay with Dad. I'll get my teaching degree, and probably teach at the high school. Or maybe I'll take over the library from Amma. I'll probably marry Emily Asher and we'll have two kids. But I'll never make enough money for her, so I'll start drinking get three DUI's and lose my job. And, uh, have an affair on and off with Savannah Snow until I'm 49. The kids will live with their mother after we divorce. Then when I'm 52, I'll have my first heart attack, another one at 63. I'll move into an apartment above the Wayward Dog bar and help them sweep up after hours for free drinks. And then when I'm 64, I'll hang myself. Um... But they won't find the body right away. Not until I stink.
- Lena Duchannes: Don't be a snob, uncle. It's not their fault you never speak to any of them.
Macon Ravenwood: And it's not my fault that I have a predilection for good breeding... ...reasonable intelligence, and passable personal hygiene.
- Macon Ravenwood: What is that source of authority? A bunch of sexually frustrated housewives... ...with miniscule minds and voluminous backs-ides.
- Macon Ravenwood: I agreed to let you attend what passes for a school in this town, but no friendships.
- Amma: My father always said trouble follows that family like stink on a fly's ass.
- Lena Duchannes: My family's different.
Ethan Wate: Different how?
Lena Duchannes: We do things. We do different things.
Ethan Wate: So, like, what, you're from Europe?
- Lena Duchannes: I mean, calling us "witches" is like calling the smart kids "geeks" or the athletes "jocks." We prefer the term "Caster."
- Ethan Wate: Lena, you're a miracle. Why would you ever want to be normal?
- Ethan Wate: My mama used to say: Get out of this town as soon as you can. Go find out how other people live and think before you find a place that's yours." And I'd say, "Mom, I'm 9. How do I do that?" So that's when she took me to the library. And, um, she said: Ethan, this is my church. This is where my family goes to celebrate what's holy: Ideas."
- Ethan Wate: Most people spend their entire lives... ...waiting for a moment that's gonna change everything. It never happens. We can start our lives right now, okay?
- Lena Duchannes: When a female Caster turns 16, we face what they call the Claiming. My powers will be claimed for either the Light or the Dark depending on my true nature. Whatever I'm destined to be.
- Sarafine: And you know the law of the curse: no Caster may love a mortal.
- Sarafine: I can feel your powers waning. Hmm, that's so sad. They're fading, and you know why that is.
- Sarafine: And that first heartbreak. ... That's enough to turn any girl Dark... mortal or Caster.
- Sarafine: They invent ideas like God, and love, and righteousness and then they use those same ideas to kill anyone who disagrees with them. They pray without true beliefs and then wonder why their spells don't work. They don't even value their pathetic little lives until seconds before it's taken from them. Poor things.
- Macon Ravenwood: In that kind of darkness, there's not even a memory of love, only power.
Amma: Everything has a price.
- Amma: Close your eyes. See with your mind what you're looking for as if you've already found it.
- Ethan Wate: We don't have powers to just change things whenever we like. Being human is feeling bad, it's feeling
pissed off. It's feeling scared and not being able to do anything about it until you don't feel that way anymore, until you can see your way out of it. And I yelled at you because I care about you! That's what normal people do, who love each other when one of them is acting like a brat. Now, would you please stop raining on me?
- Amma: God created all things, didn't he? It's only men who go and decide which ones are mistakes.
- Amma: Gatlin is like the capital of Caster America. The Caster Library used to be under Washington, D.C. until Nancy Reagan made them move. She was the only mortal they were ever scared of. They know a Caster's here. ... The Caster Library has been the responsibility of Seers like me for generations. Something I had no choice about either, by the way. And these books hold the histories of the Casters from around the world the laws that keep balance between Light and Dark.
- Ethan Wate: No, they've got piss punch and the chaperones guarding the make-out stairs.
- Lena Duchannes: I still don't know what to get you. ... What do you wish for every year that you never get?
Ethan Wate: No, it's not... You're gonna think I'm so not cool.
Lena Duchannes: That's okay, I don't think you're cool now.
Ethan Wate: Um... Snow.
Lena Duchannes: Really?
Ethan Wate: Well, you know what, I always wanted one of those white movie Christmases.I mean, look at this. This is, like, pathetic. This ain't Christmas, heh.
Lena Duchannes: That's what you really want? How am I gonna survive a lifetime of you surprising me?
(It starts to snow.)
- Alden Ehrenreic - Ethan Lawson Wate
- Alice Englert - Lena Duchannes
- Jeremy Irons - Macon Melchizedek Ravenwood
- Viola Davis - Amarie Treadeau "Amma"
- Emmy Rossum - Ridley Duchannes
- Thomas Mann - Wesley Jefferson Lincoln "Link"
- Emma Thompson - Mavis Lincoln / Sarafine Duchannes
- Margo Martindale - Delphine Duchannes
- Eileen Atkins - Emmaline Duchannes
- Zoey Deutch - Emily Asher
- Tiffany Boone - Savannah Snow
- Kyle Gallner - Larkin Kent
- Rachel Brosnahan as Genevieve Katherine Duchannes
- Pruitt Taylor Vince - Mr. Lee
- Robin Skye - Mrs. Hester
- Randy Redd - Reverend Stephens
- Lance E. Nichols - Mayor Snow
- Leslie Castay - Principal Herbert
- Sam Gilroy - Ethan Carter Wate
- Gwendolyn Mulamba - Mrs. Snow
- Cindy Hogan - Mrs. Asher