Being Erica is a Canadian drama television series which aired on CBC from January 5, 2009 to December 12, 2011, exploring the life of Erica Strange, who in every episode goes back in time to relive a regret from her past, in order to come back and make a positive change in her present.
|This TV article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Dr. Tom [1.01]
- Dr. Tom: "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."
- Dr. Tom: Albert Einstein.
- Erica: Isn't that a lot of pressure for you?
- Dr. Tom: "Pressure makes diamonds."
- Dr. Tom: General George S. Patton.
- Dr. Tom: "Curiosity...
- Dr. Tom: does no less than devotion, pilgrims make."
- Dr. Tom: Abraham Cowley.
- Dr. Tom: "The life which is unexamined, is not worth living". That's Plato.
- Erica: I wanted help.
- Dr. Tom: And I'm giving you what you need. I'm giving you what you asked for.
- Dr. Tom: "We learn by doing, there is no other way."
- Dr. Tom: John Holt.
- Dr. Tom: "Do not weep. Do not wax indignant. Understand."
- Dr. Tom: Baruch Spinoza.
- Dr. Tom: "If life's journey be endless,where is its goal? The answer is... it's everywhere."
- Dr. Tom: Rabindranath Tagore.
- Dr. Tom: God! I like him.
- Dr. Tom: I never expected you to stop caring, Erica. I just wanted you to stop letting that get in your way.
- Dr. Tom: You didn't fail, Erica.
- Dr. Tom: With your parents' opinions, and your, and your friends' opinions,
- Dr. Tom: Yeah, of course, they're always gonna matter...
- Dr. Tom: they just don't matter as much as your own.
What I am is what I am [1.02]
- Antigone: I just hired this bright young thing, right out of her masters.
- Erica: Let me guess, Literati?
- Antigone: Well, we are... the sum of our decisions, aren't we?
- Erica: Yeah.
- Antigone: As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
- Dr. Tom: Samuel Johnson said:
- Dr. Tom: "The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them, as they are."
- Antigone: The truth will set you free.
- Dr. Tom: The egg. Perfection, both in function and in form. It has a double arch, top and bottom. It's what makes an egg so incredibly strong.
- Dr. Tom: But the minute that we begin to chip away at its integrity, the egg collapses in on itself until, in the end, we're left with only... breakfast.
- Dr. Tom: It's still an egg, but it's not the same.
- Dr. Tom: Our lives are like a house of cards. You know, some of the cards are... cosmetic.
- Dr. Tom: While others are load bearing walls. You remove one of those cards and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
- Erica: Like the egg.
- Dr. Tom: Like the egg. Chip away at what makes you "you" and you become something else.
Plenty of fish [1.03]
- Dr. Tom: "Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest people when the privacy of their soul is intrusively invaded."
- Dr. Tom: Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- Dr. Tom: "Let your net always be cast. And in the pool which you least expect...
- Erica: there will be a fish."
- Erica: Ovid.
- Erica: ...so easy now that I realized that, just 'cause one guy hurt me, it doesn't mean they all will.
- Dr. Tom: Well, I can't argue with that.
- Erica: Yeah.
- Dr. Tom: But don't forget, you know, it's never easy.
- Dr. Tom: You know, "there is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."
- Erica: Isn't that from "The Matrix"?
- Dr. Tom: Morpheus.
- Dr. Tom: Lawrence Fishburne. Man, that's a stellar performance.
- Dr. Tom: It's not a question of whether you can or whether you can't 'cause that's just more...
- Dr. Tom: Taking a risk is like, uh... jumping off a cliff. It's a leap into the unknown with absolutely no guarantees.
- Dr. Tom: Ultimately, Erica, you just have to decide. You have to choose how are you going to be.
- Dr. Tom: I mean, you could spend the rest of your life caught up, in that fear. Okay. Or, you could face it. Take the leap. See what comes.
- Dr. Tom: Your ice cream's melting.
The Secret of Now [1.04]
- Brent: Julianne's mantra is: "Keep your enemies close and...those who can get your job, even closer."
- Dr. Tom: "You don't miss your water, till your well runs dry."
- Dr. Tom: William Bell.
- Dr. Tom: "We are postponing, life speeds by."
- Dr. Tom: Seneca.
- Dr. Tom: "Defeatism is the wretchedest of policies."
- Dr. Tom: George Bernard Shaw.
- Erica: I've read you tons of poems. Why did you remember that one?
- Ethan: Because this one... this one was special.
- Erica: It's goofy.
- Ethan: No, it's not. Look, I'm no expert; the kind of poetry I like is usually about gangsters. But this one you wrote? It was just you.
- Erica: Well, no wonder Lozar hated it so much.
- Ethan: Screw him. This is who you are. You don't need his approval.
- Erica: If only life were that simple.
- Ethan: It is.
- Erica: It is, isn't it?