Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes is a 1970 film about the sole survivor of an interplanetary rescue mission who searches for the only survivor of the previous expedition. He discovers a planet ruled by apes and an underground city run by telepathic humans. It is the sequel to Planet of the Apes.
- [reading from the 29th scroll, 6th verse] Beware the beast man, for he is the devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him (drive him back into his jungle lair) for he is the harbinger of death.
- They will dissect you, and they will kill you. In that order.
- Our great Lawgiver tells us that never, never will the human have the ape's divine faculty for being able to distinguish between evil and good. The only good human is a dead human! But those fortunate enough to remain alive will have the privilege of being used by our revered Minister of Science, the good Dr. Zaius.
- [about the Forbidden Zone] It is our holy duty to put our feet upon it, to enter it, to put the mark of our guns and our wheels, and our flags upon it. To expand the boundaries of our ineluctable power. And to invade!
- Brutal butchery! I swear those responsible shall pay with torture and with death!
- I can't order them to do what the Lawgiver has forbidden! Ape shall not kill ape.
- He bleeds! The Lawgiver bleeds!
- The spirit of the Lawgiver lives. We are still God's chosen. This is a vision! And it is a lie!
- The Heavens declared the glory of the Bomb, and the firmament showeth His handiwork.
- He descendeth from the outermost part of Heaven and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. Their is neither speech, nor language, yet His voice is heard among them.
- Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.
- O Mighty and Everlasting Bomb, who came down among us to make Heaven under Earth, lighten our darkness. O instrument of God, grant us thy peace.
- Behold the truth that abides in us. Reveal that truth unto that Maker.
- Let everyone go to his private shelter. Empty the streets. There to find the city of the dead. May the Blessing of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend on us all. This day and forever more.
- [Ursus and Zaius are in a steam bath]
- Dr. Zaius: Well, General, I still think you're being hasty.
- General Ursus: No, Doctor. Decisive. Now we invade or we starve. It's as simple as that.
- Dr. Zaius: And as dangerous.
- General Ursus: What is more dangerous than famine, Doctor?
- Dr. Zaius: The unknown.
- Brent: Taylor, they've got a bomb. An atomic bomb. It's operational. They intend to use it.
- Taylor: What type is it?
- Brent: I don't know what type. I've never seen that design before.
- Taylor: Didn't you see a serial number?
- Brent: No. No numbers. Just some letters on one of the fins. Greek letters. Alpha, and...
- Taylor: [quietly] ...and Omega.
- Brent: What?!
- Taylor: The doomsday bomb. Another lovely souvenir from the 20th Century. They weren't satisfied with a bomb that could knock out a city. They finally built one with a cobalt casing, all in the sweet name of peace.
- Brent: Those bloody fools! They don't know what they've got. They pray to the damn thing! If they shoot it off at some of those apes, it could set off a chain reaction in the whole atmosphere.
- Taylor: Burn the planet to a cinder. How's that for your ultimate weapon?
- [The Ape army enters the mutant church, where Mendez is waiting]
- Mendez: This is the instrument of my god.
- Ape Soldier: [shocked] He can speak!
- [Mendez raises the Alpha-Omega bomb to its firing position, as the Apes chatter in alarm. Ursus steps forward]
- Ursus: Your god, huh? Sargent. [An ape soldier pulls out a machine gun and shoots Mendez dead] Your god didn't save you, did he? Huh? [pulls out his own machine gun and begins shooting the bomb]
- Zaius: Ursus! Ursus, are you mad?! That weapon was built by man. You can't shoot it down with only a clip of bullets!
- Ursus: If we can't shoot it down, we'll pull it down! Ropes! Block and tackle! Get on it!
- Zaius: But you don't know what you're doing! It'll kill us all!
- [Final lines; Taylor is severely wounded, while Brent is fighting off the Apes]
- Taylor: Zaius...
- Zaius: Taylor!
- Taylor: It's doomsday. The end of the world. Help me!
- Zaius: You ask me to help you?! Man is evil! Capable of nothing but destruction!
- [Brent's gun jams, and then the Apes open fire en masse, killing him instantly]
- Taylor: You... bloody... bastard...
- [Taylor collapses, and with his final strength, brings his hand down on the Alpha-Omega bomb's activation trigger. The picture is whited out, and we hear an explosion. Fade to black.]
- Narrator: In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe lies a medium-sized star. And one of its satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.
- The bizarre world you met in 'Planet of the Apes' was only the beginning... What lies beneath may be the end!
- An army of civilized apes...A fortress of radiation-crazed super humans...Earth's final battle is about to begin - Beneath the atomic rubble of what was once the city of New York!
- James Franciscus - Brent
- David Watson - Cornelius
- Kim Hunter - Zira
- Maurice Evans - Dr. Zaius
- Linda Harrison - Nova
- Paul Richards - Mendez
- Natalie Trundy - Albina
- Jeff Corey - Caspay
- Gregory Sierra - Verger
- Victor Buono - Adiposo
- James Gregory - General Ursus
- Charlton Heston - Taylor
- Tod Andrews - Skipper
- Thomas Gomez - Minister (final film role)