Benedict of Nursia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This religious leader article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Listen carefully, my child, to your master's precepts, and incline the ear of your heart. Receive willingly and carry out effectively your loving father's advice, that by the labor of obedience you may return to Him from whom you had departed by the sloth of disobedience.
- Rule of St. Benedict: opening words
- Every age and degree of understanding should have its proper measure of discipline. With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore, or those who cannot understand the seriousness of the penalty of excommunication, whenever such as these are delinquent let them be subjected to severe fasts or brought to terms by harsh beatings, that they may be cured.
- Rule of St. Benedict: Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected
- There are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence.
- Rule of Saint Benedict (516 AD), as edited by Timothy Fry, O. S. B (1981), p. 15