Beowulf (2007 film)
Bewoulf is a 2007 American performance capture fantasy film directed by Robert Zemeckis. The cast includes Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright Penn, Brendan Gleeson, John Malkovich, Crispin Glover, Alison Lohman and Angelina Jolie. It was released in the United States on November 16, 2007.
- Grendel's Mother: Are you the one they call Beowulf? Such a strong man you are. A man like you could own the greatest tale ever sung. Beowulf... lay with me. Give me a son, and I shall make you the greatest king that ever lived. This... I swear...
- King Hrothgar: She's not my curse, not anymore.
- Beowulf: I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! I AM BEOWULF!
- Wealthow: There have been many a brave men come to taste my lord's mead. And who have promissed to rid us of our night-man. But in the morning, there was nothing left but blood to be cleaned from the floor... and the benches... and the walls.
- Beowulf: What do you know of me... Demon?
- Wiglaf: Do you want me to go in with you?
[Beowulf and Wiglaf look at each other]
- Wiglaf: Good.
- Beowulf: They say you have a monster here. They say your lands are cursed. I am Beowulf and I'm here to kill your monster.
- Beowulf: If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
- Beowulf: The time of heroes is dead: the Christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.
- Grendel's Mother: I see you brought me treasure.
- Beowulf: [to Grendel's Mother] Show yourself! What are you?
- Grendel's Mother: Are you the one they call Beowulf? The Bee-Wolf. The bear. Such a strong man you are with the strength of a king. The king you will one day become.
- Beowulf: What do you know of me, demon?
- Grendel's Mother: I know that underneath your glamor you're as much a monster as my son, Grendel.
- Beowulf: My glamor!
- Grendel's Mother: One needs glamor to become a king. A man like you could own the greatest tale ever sung. Your story would live on when everything now alive is dust. Beowulf... It has been a long time since a man has come to visit me.
- Beowulf: I need no sword to kill you.
- Grendel's Mother: Of course you don't my love. You took a song from me. Give me a son, brave thane. Stay with me. Love me... Love me... and I shall weave you riches... beyond imagination. I shall make you the greatest king that ever lived. As long as you hold me in your heart... and this golden horn remains in my keeping... You will forever be King. Forever strong, might... and all-powerful. This I promise. This... I swear...
- King Hrothgar: So you brought back the head of Grendel. What about the head of the mother?
- Beowulf: With her dead and cold in the bog, is it not enough to return one monster's head?
- King Hrothgar: Did you kill her?
- Beowulf: Would you like to hear the story of my struggle against this monstrous hag?
- King Hrothgar: She's no hag, Beowulf. We both know that. But answer me, did you kill her?
- Beowulf: Would I have been able to escape her, had I not?
- King Hrothgar: Grendel is dead. That's all that matter to me. He can bother me no more. The mother, the hag... She's not my curse, not anymore. Not anymore.