Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The reason it's on the rise is because probably the boom times are getting even more boomer.
- commenting on rising inflation in the Irish economy. Economic growth shows little sign of letting up – The Irish Times newspaper article, 14 July, 2006.
- "I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"
- commenting on people "talking the economy down", just before the crash. Speech at Irish Congress of Trade Unions conference  2007-07-3.
- Time magazine reported him as speaking of "upsetting the apple tart".
- Mr. Popularity Time magazine. 2007-04-26.
- I never condemn wrongdoing in any area
- 22 February, 2006 in the Dáil (Ahern corrected his slip, above, TO "condone" during the same statement.) Leaders' Questions Oireachtas Debates 2006-02-22.
- I have always found him to be a proud, honourable man, loyal, true, persevering, principled, caring and committed but tough and a person who lost friends easily. On behalf of the Government but in particular on behalf of the Fianna Fáil Party, I thank him for his distinguished years of service to his constituents and his country.
- The public are entitled to have an absolute guarantee of the financial probity and integrity of their elected representatives, their officials and above all of Ministers. They need to know that they are under financial obligations to nobody.
- Dáil Éireann transcript, December 1996[specific citation needed]
- It is quite unacceptable that a member of Dáil Éireann and in particular a Cabinet Minister and Taoiseach, should be supported in his personal lifestyle by gifts made to him personally.
- Dáil Éireann transcript, September 1997[specific citation needed]
- I continued the arrangement, so whatever was on my mind, and the reason I probably can't give you a better reflection of what I was doing on the 19th of January is because I didn't do it. I am sure there are some mornings you get up and you think I might do this or I might do that and then you don't do them so, its hard to remember.
- Some people dye their hair yellow or put rings in their noses
- Explaining to the Mahon Tribunal on 20 December 2007 why he did not have a bank account in 1993. Planning Tribunal Transcript planningtribunal.ie. 2007-12-20.
- It was a political donation for my personal use.
- 21 February 2008 at the Mahon Tribunal, referring to a £5,000 donation. Irish Times report 2008-02-21. (Subscription required)
- It is not correct, and if I said so, I was not correct — I cannot recall if I said it, but I did not say, or if I did, I did not mean to say it
- Straight answers needed to taxing Bertie questions Irish Independent, 2008-01-31.
- That decision will in history be written as the biggest mistake that American administration ever made, because Lehmans was a world investment bank. They had testicles everywhere.
- It took Ireland thirty years to become an overnight success.
Quotes About Ahern
- Did Ahern, in his 11 years of power, make the most of this unprecedented prosperity for the public benefit? The answer can hardly be positive, given the present state of health, education and infrastructure, generally.
- We can spit on Bertie Ahern till our mouths run dry, but he didn’t invent the amorality of our public culture. He was never a large enough figure to be able to shape the way Irish society thinks and feels. He was just an artful dodger, a skilled exploiter of the opportunities created by widespread tolerance for ingratiating chancers.
- Fintan O'Toole, Giving the people of Ireland a chance not chancers Irish Times, March 27, 2012.
- Unravelling the many mysteries of Bertiespeak Irish Examiner, 2001-08-13
- When it comes to upsetting apple tarts, Bertie's definitely our man Sunday Independent, 2001-10-14
- How to upset the apple tart and survive Irish Independent, 2008-04-24