Bicycle Thieves (Italian: Ladri di biciclette) is a 1948 film about a man and his son who search for a stolen bicycle vital for his job. The film received an Academy Honorary Award in 1950 and, just four years after its release, was deemed the greatest film of all time by Sight & Sound magazine's poll of filmmakers and critics; fifty years later the same poll ranked it sixth among greatest-ever films.
- Directed by Vittorio De Sica. Written by Vittorio De Sica, Cesare Zavattini, Suso Cecchi d'Amico, Gerardo Guerrieri, Oreste Biancoli, and Adolfo Franci, based on a novel by Luigi Bartolini.
- Why should I kill myself worrying when I'll end up just as dead?
- There's a cure for everything except death.
- You live and you suffer.
- I've been cursed since the day I was born.
- Your mother and her prayers can't help us.
- [to Bruno] Do you fancy a pizza? Come on, then! Come on, let's go! What the hell. We might as well go out in style. What's the point in worrying about it all?
- The Beggar: I mind my own business, I bother nobody, and what do I get? Trouble.
- La Santona: [Addressing a young man seated before her, apparently seeking advice on his love life] You must plant your seeds in another field. Do you understand what I mean?
- Young man: No, I don't understand.
- La Santona: It's simple, my boy. What good is planting seeds if the soil rejects them? You plant, but don't gather. Understand?
- Young man: I haven't understood a word.
- La Santona: [Becoming impatient] She doesn't love you! Forget her! [Pausing for effect] Dear boy, you're very ugly. Yes, ugly. There are so many other women... Go and plow another field!
- Employment Officer: Hey, Ricci, remember your bike! You have to have a bike.
- Antonio Ricci: A bike? I have and I haven't. I can't get my hands on it right now. Perhaps in a few days time.
- Employment Officer: You need one straight away or they won't take you on.
- Antonio Ricci: I can do it on foot for the first few days.
- Employment Officer: If you haven't got a bike, you'll have to let someone else take it.
- Employment Officer: Have you got a bike or haven't you?
- Antonio Ricci: I've got one. I've got one.
- Employment Officer: Remember if you haven't got a bike, there's nothing doing, right?
- Antonio Ricci: Think I'm going to wait another two years? I'll be there with a bike.
- La Santona: What have they stolen?
- Antonio Ricci: My bike.
- La Santona: What can I say? I can only tell you what I see. Listen: you'll find it straight away or not at all. Understand? You'll find it straight away or not at all. Keep your eyes open.
- Antonio Ricci: Where, straight away?
- La Santona: How should I know? Go and try to understand what I said. You'll find it straight away or not at all.
- Lamberto Maggiorani - Antonio Ricci
- Enzo Staiola - Bruno Ricci, Antonio's son
- Lianella Carell - Maria Ricci, Antonio's wife
- Gino Saltamerenda - Baiocco, Antonio's friend who helps search
- Ida Bracci Dorati - La Santona
- Vittorio Antonucci - Bicycle thief
- Giulio Chiari - a Beggar
- Elena Altieri - the Charitable Lady
- Carlo Jachino - a Beggar