William Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981) was a Scottish football manager.
- A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.
- At a football club, there's a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters.
- Someone said to me 'To you football is a matter of life or death!' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'.
- An interview on a Granada Television chat-show, hosted by Shelley Rohde on Wednesday 20th of May 1981
- The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life.
- Aim for the sky and you’ll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor.
- Attributed to Shankly in 2013, thirty years after Shankly's death. However, very similar sayings are found anonymously from the late twentieth-century.