- I have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It is scandalous that I should have to write these things about the club that I helped build into what it is today.
- From his autobiography It's More Important Than That (1976), discussing the period after his retirement
- A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.
- At a football club, there's a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters.
- Someone said to me 'To you football is a matter of life or death!' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'.
- An interview on a Granada Television chat-show, hosted by Shelley Rohde on Wednesday 20th of May 1981
- It's Not Your Leg Son - Book of Shankly Quotes pub. Tangent Books