Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Written and directed by Lawrence Kasdan.
As the temperature rises, the suspense begins.taglines
- You better take me up on this quick. In about 45 minutes, I'm going to give up and go away.
- Sometimes the shit comes down so heavy I feel like I should wear a hat.
- Well, some men, once they get a whiff of it, they trail you like a hound.
- Judge: Mr. Racine, the next time you come into my courtroom I hope you've got either a better defense, or a better class of client.
- Peter: I'm really disappointed in you, Racine. I've been living vicariously off of you for years. You shut up on me now, all I have is my wife.
- Teddy Lewis: I got a serious question for you: What the fuck are you doing? This is not shit for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna fuck up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?
- Matty: You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man.
- Ned: What else do you like? Lazy? Ugly? Horny? I've got 'em all.
- Matty: You don't look lazy.
- Ned: Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.
- Matty: This is a blouse and a skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.
- Ned: You shouldn't wear that body.
- Peter: I think I've underestimated you Ned. I don't know why it took me so long. You've started using your incompetence as a weapon.
- Ned: My defense was evolving. You guys got scared.
- Ned: You can stand here with me if you want but you'll have to agree not to talk about the heat.
- Matty: I'm a married woman.
- Ned: Meaning what?
- Matty: Meaning I'm not looking for company.
- Ned: Then you should have said I'm a happily married woman.
- Ned: Can I buy you a drink?
- Matty: I told you. I've got a husband.
- Ned: I'll buy him one too.
- Matty: He's out of town.
- Ned: My favorite kind. We'll drink to him.
- Matty: Only comes up on weekends.
- Ned: I'm liking him better all the time.
- Ned: I need someone to take care of me, someone to rub my tired muscles, smooth out my sheets.
- Matty: Get married.
- Ned: I just need it for tonight.
- Matty: Would you get me a paper towel or something? Dip it in some cold water.
- Ned: Right away. I'll even wipe if off for you.
- Matty: You don't want to lick it?
- Matty: What are you doing in Pine Haven?
- Ned: I'm no yokel, I was all the way to Miami once.
- Matty: My temperature runs a couple of degrees high, around a hundred. I don't mind. It's the engine or something.
- Ned: Maybe you need a tune up.
- Matty: Don't tell me. You have just the right tool.
- Ned: I like this place; it's got a nice feel.
- Matty: You were on top.
- Ned: So it could use a better mattress. See to it will you?
- Matty: Yes sir.
- Oscar: Whatcha got for pie today Stella?
- Stella: I got cherry, cherry and cherry.
- Oscar: Well, what do you recommend?
- Stella: I like the cherry.
- Oscar: Bring it on.
- Ned: How's the cop business, Oscar?
- Oscar: Real good. Always starts hopping in weather like this. When it gets this hot, people try to kill each other.
- Peter: Assistant County Prosecutor is not the end of the line for me.
- Ned: No, no. Someday, Deputy County Prosecutor.
- Ned: Hey lady, ya wanna fuck?
- Mary Ann: Gee, I don't know. Maybe. This sure is a friendly town.
- Matty: Ned, this Mary Ann.
- Mary Ann: We were just meeting. Ned made me feel very welcome.
- Walker's Lawyer: Would anyone mind if I smoke?
- [Everyone except Lowenstein lights up. Someone offers him a cigarette]
- Lowenstein: No, I don't need my own. I'll just breathe the air.
- Lowenstein: Ned, someday your dick is going to lead you into a very big hassle. That lady may have just killed her husband.
- Ned: She's not going to inherit anything by killing me. Besides, maybe she'll try to fuck me to death. [He smiles sadly]
- As the temperature rises, the suspense begins.
- It's a hot summer. Ned Racine is waiting for something special to happen. And when it does... He won't be ready for the consequences.
- She taught him everything she knew - about passion and murder.
- William Hurt - Ned Racine
- Kathleen Turner - Matty Walker
- Richard Crenna - Edmund Walker
- Ted Danson - Peter Lowenstein
- J.A. Preston - Oscar Grace
- Mickey Rourke - Teddy Lewis
- Kim Zimmer - Mary Ann Simpson