Last e-mail to parents (2009)
- Last e-mail to parents (25 June 2009), as quoted in "America's Last Prisoner of War" (2012), The Rolling Stone
- The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting.
- In the U.S. Army, you are cut down for being honest.
- But if you are a conceited brown-nosing shit-bag, you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank.
- The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of 'U.S. soldier' is just the lie of fools.
- The U.S. Army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good sergeants are getting out as soon as they can, and they are telling us privates to do the same.
- I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks.
- We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them.
- I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.
- There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.
Quotes about Bergdahl
- Obey your conscience! Dear Bowe, In matters of life and death, and especially at war, it is never safe to ignore one's conscience. Ethics demands obedience to our conscience. It is best to also have a systematic oral defense of what our conscience demands. Stand with like minded men when possible. Dad.
- Robert Bergdahl, Obey Your Conscience! (June 2009)