Boxing is a combat sport in which two people engage in a contest of strength, speed, reflexes, endurance, and will, by throwing punches at each other, usually with gloved hands. Traditionally, the goal has been to knock the opponent unconscious from blows to the head. One can also win by technical knockout or on points.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.
- Muhammad Ali, attributed in Chambers Sporting Quotations (1990), by Simon James, p. 27
- Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.
- Muhammad Ali, in Talent Is Never Enough : Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent (2007) by John C. Maxwell, p. 141
- Boxing is the toughest and loneliest sport in the world.
- To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other.
- Boxing is for men, and is about men, and is men. A celebration of the lost religion of masculinity all the more trenchant for its being lost.
- Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing (1987), p. 72
- You know, I cut easily, so I don’t think I would’ve won the title, but I would’ve been a contender.
- Roger Donahue, American boxer. As quoted by Budd Shulberg in his interview for The Times (UK) newspaper, 19th January 2009
- Boxing Day. I hope it will be made clear on this foggy anniversary of it to every foreigner who is passing his first Christmas in London, and who may have read that la boxe has been put down in this country, that the shops are not closed and a holiday given to those employed therein to enable them to spend Boxing Day in fist-fighting, an old English sport and pastime not now kept up, except under the influence of an excess of liquor, Pugilism being mainly restricted to conflicts on the question of who was the architect of the Houses of Parliament.
- I think you are gonna find, when it's over... I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherfucker. The thing is Butch, right now, you've got ability. But painful as it may be, ability don't last. And your days are just about over. Now that's a hard motherfuckin' fact of life. But it's a fact of life your ass is gonna hafta get realistic about. See this business is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherfuckers. Motherfuckers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't. Besides Butch, how many fights you think you got left in you anyway? Two? Boxers don't have an 'old timer's day.' You came close, but you never made it, and if you were gonna make it, you woulda made it before now.