C. L. R. James
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- There can be raw pain and bleeding where so many thousands see the inevitable ups and downs of only a game.
- Beyond a Boundary (1963)
- Cricket is first and foremost a dramatic spectacle. It belongs with theatre, ballet, opera and the dance.
- Beyond a Boundary
- If you are not their slaves, you are rebels.
- James is quoting Toussaint Louverture's speech to his troops--most of whom, like Toussaint himself, were former slaves. The "their" refers to the French imperialists. In The Black Jacobins, 2nd Ed., Vintage Books, 1963, pp. 307
- Dissimulation is the refuge of the slave.
- The Black Jacobins, 2nd Ed., Vintage Books, 1963, pp. 334
- The race question is subsidiary to the class question in politics, and to think of imperialism in terms of race is disastrous. But to neglect the racial factor as merely incidental is an error only less grave than to make it fundamental.
- The Black Jacobins, 2nd Ed., Vintage Books, 1963, pp. 283.
- The rich are only defeated when running for their lives.
- The Black Jacobins, 2nd Ed., Vintage Books, 1963, pp. 77.