Cabaret (1972 film)
(Redirected from Cabaret (film))Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Bob Fosse. Written by Jay Presson Allen, loosely based on the 1966 Broadway musical Cabaret by Kander and Ebb.
Life is a cabaret (taglines)
- [singing] Life is a cabaret, ol' chum, so come to the Cabaret.
- [repeated line] Divine decadence darling.
- I'm going to be a great film star! That is, if booze and sex don't get me first.
- [to Sally Bowles] Doesn't my body drive you wild with desire?
- Aren't you ever gonna stop deluding yourself, hmm? Handling Max? Behaving like some ludicrous little underage femme fatale? You're... you're about as fatale as an after dinner mint!
- Do you know what she has done to me? It's terrible! She has turned me into an honest man.
Master of Ceremonies
- Leave your troubles outside! So life is disappointing? Forget it! In here, life is beautiful! The girls are beautiful! Even the orchestra is beautiful! [The orchestra plays.] Beautiful!
- And now presenting the cabaret girls! Heidi, Christine, Mouzy, Helga, Betty, und Inge. Each and every one a virgin. You don't believe me? Well, do not take my word for it! Go ahead, ask Helga! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Outside, it is winter. But here, it is so hot. Every night we have the battle to keep the girls from taking off all their clothing. So don't go away. Who knows? Tonight we may lose the battle!
- Brian: You're American.
- Sally: Oh God, how depressing! You're meant to think I'm an international woman of mystery. I'm working on it like mad.
- Sally: I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing, working at a place like the Kit Kat Club.
- Brian: Well, it is a rather unusual place.
- Sally: That's me, darling. Unusual places, unusual love affairs. I am a most strange and extraordinary person.
- Natalia: I am sorry to bother you, but I could not tell no one else. I do not know no other woman who gives her body so frequently... Oh! I am sorry, my English. Have I offended you?
- Sally: Oh, no, not at all.
- Natalia: You are a woman of many sexual experiences, I think.
- Sally: I'll say, darling. Ever since I was so high, men have found me irresistible.
- Brian: How's the, uh, gigolo campaign going?
- Fritz: Terrible. This week, already I'm giving up three dinner invitations to spend thirty-two marks on her.
- Brian: That's quite a sacrifice.
- Fritz: And here's the craziness: I like it. Goddamn it!
- Brian: What?
- Fritz: I think I'm falling in love with her.
- Brian: Oh, I'm so sorry.
- Fritz: So am I.
- [Sally and Brian are in bed together.]
- Sally: Obviously, those three girls were-
- Sally and Brian together: -just the wrong three girls!
- Brian: You did it, didn't you?
- Sally: Did what, darling?
- Brian: The abortion. In God's name, why?
- Sally: One of my whims?
- Life is a cabaret.
- Everybody loves a winner!
- Cabaret... Winner of 8 Academy Awards!
- A divinely decadent experience!
- Come to the cabaret.
- Liza Minnelli - Sally Bowles
- Michael York - Brian Roberts
- Fritz Wepper - Fritz Wendel
- Marisa Berenson - Natalia Landauer
- Helmut Griem - Maximilian "Max" von Heune
- Joel Grey - Master of Ceremonies
- Helen Vita - Frost
- Oliver Collignon (Mark Lambert singing) - Nazi youth