Carole Lombard (6 October 1908 – 16 January 1942), born Jane Alice Peters, was an American actress. She was especially noted for her performances in a particular form of screen comedy - screwball. She died in a January 1942 plane crash following a successful war-bond rally in Indianapolis.
- At first thought , we might say, 'our job is to win a war'...but I am sure it would be closer to the hearts of all of us to say, 'We are fighting a war to assure a peace...our kind of peace.'
- Speaking at an Indianapolis war-bond rally, 15 January 1942
- Quoted in Carole Lombard, The Hoosier Tornado by Wes D. Gehring, p. 1
- I have no kicks at all [The] fact is I'm pretty happy about the whole thing...I enjoy this country. I like the parks and the highways and the good schools and everything that this Government does.
- Endorsing Roosevelt's administration and income tax in general.
- Carole Lombard, The Hoosier Tornado by Wes D. Gehring, p. 3
- Carole Lombard's tragic death means that something of gaiety and beauty have been taken from the world at a time they are needed most.
- Errol Flynn, Carole Lombard, The Hoosier Tornado by Wes D. Gehring, p. 17