(Redirected from Casablanca)
- Directed by Michael Curtiz. Written by Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein, and Howard Koch, based on the play Everybody Comes to Rick's by Murray Burnett and Joan Alison.
- Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
- Ranked #67 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- [repeated line] I stick my neck out for nobody.
- [On Captain Renault] Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.
- Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
- Ranked #20 in the "100 Movie Quotes" list
Captain Louis Renault
- [about Ugarte] I'm making out the report now. We haven't quite decided whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.
- Oh, please, monsieur. It is a little game we play. They put it on the bill, I tear up the bill. It is very convenient.
- I have no conviction, if that's what you mean. I blow with the wind, and the prevailing wind happens to be from Vichy.
- Major Strasser has been shot. [pause] Round up the usual suspects.
- Ranked #32 in the "100 Movie Quotes" list
- Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
- Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.
- Ugarte: You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.
- Renault: Hello Rick.
- Rick: Hello Louis.
- Renault: How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce. You know, now I think I shall pay a call on Yvonne. Maybe get her on the rebound. Hmm?
- Rick: When it comes to women, you're a true democrat.
- Renault: I've often speculated on why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Did you run off with a Senator's wife? I like to think that you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
- Rick: It's a combination of all three.
- Renault: And what in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
- Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
- Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
- Rick: I was misinformed.
- Ilsa: Play it once, Sam, for old times' sake.
- Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
- Ilsa: [whispered] Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By.
- Sam: Why, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
- Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. [Ilsa hums two bars. Sam starts to play] Sing it, Sam.
- Sam: [singing] You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.
- Lyrics and Music by Herman Hupfeld (1931)
- "Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By" is #28 in the AFI's list of the top 100 movie quotations; it is often misquoted as "Play it again, Sam".
- Renault: If Rick has the letters, he's much too smart to let you find them there.
- Strasser: You give him credit for too much cleverness. My impression was that he's just another blundering American.
- Renault: You mustn't underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they "blundered" into Berlin in 1918.
- Renault: Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies.
- Carl: I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway.
- Strasser: [after Laszlo leads the band in playing the French national anthem] You see what I mean? If Laszlo's presence in a cafe can inspire this unfortunate demonstration, what more will his presence in Casablanca bring on? I advise that this place be shut up at once.
- Renault: But everybody's having such a good time.
- Strasser: Yes, much too good a time. The place is to be closed.
- Renault: But I've no excuse to close it!
- Strasser: Find one.
- [Strasser leaves, ending the conversation. Renault walks into the middle of the room and blows his whistle.]
- Renault: Everybody is to leave here immediately! This cafe is closed until further notice. Clear the room, at once!
- Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
- Renault: I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
- Employee of Rick's: [hands Renault money] Your winnings, sir.
- Renault: Oh, thank you, very much. Everybody out at once!
- Ilsa: [pleading with Rick for the letters of transit] Richard, we loved each other once. If those days meant anything at all to you...
- Rick: I wouldn't bring up Paris If I were you. It's poor salesmanship.
- Ilsa: I can't fight it anymore. I ran away from you once. I can't do it again. Oh, I don't know what's right any longer. You have to think for both of us. For all of us.
- Rick: All right, I will. Here's looking at you, kid.
- Ilsa: [smiles] I wish I didn't love you so much.
- Rick: Don't you sometimes wonder if it's worth all this? I mean what you're fighting for.
- Laszlo: You might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.
- Rick: Well, what of it? It'll be out of its misery.
- Laszlo: You know how you sound, Mr. Blaine? Like a man who's trying to convince himself of something he doesn't believe in his heart.
- Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
- Renault: That is my least vulnerable spot.
- Rick: Because you're getting on that plane.
- Ilsa: I don't understand. What about you?
- Rick: I'm staying here with him [Renault] 'til the plane gets safely away.
- Ilsa: No, Richard. No. What has happened to you? Last night...
- Rick: Last night, we said a great many things. You said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then and it all adds up to one thing. You're getting on that plane with Victor where you belong.
- Ilsa: But Richard, no, I've...
- Rick: Now, you've got to listen to me. Do you have any idea what you have to look forward to if you stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, Louis?
- Renault: I'm afraid Major Strasser would insist.
- Ilsa: You're saying this only to make me go.
- Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
- Ilsa: But what about us?
- Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have it before...we'd...we'd lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
- Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you...
- Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now. Here's looking at you, kid.
- "We'll always have Paris" is ranked #43 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema; "Here's looking at you, kid" is ranked #5.
- Mysterious City of Sin and Intrigue!
- They had a date with fate in Casablanca!
- As big and timely a picture as ever you've seen! You can tell by the cast it's important! Gripping! Big!
- Humphrey Bogart - Rick Blaine
- Ingrid Bergman - Ilsa Lund
- Paul Henreid - Victor Laszlo
- Claude Rains - Capt. Louis "Louie" Renault
- Conrad Veidt - Maj. Heinrich Strasser
- Sydney Greenstreet - Signor Ferrari
- Peter Lorre - Guillermo Ugarte
- S.Z. Sakall - Carl
- Madeleine LeBeau - Yvonne
- Dooley Wilson - Sam
- Joy Page - Annina Brandel
- Leonid Kinskey - Sascha