this movie is considered a classic (as in, one of the best movies ever), and deserves to have a few more quotes.188.8.131.52 04:16, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- It already does have more than would normally be allowed for a film of its length. ~ UDScott 16:36, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
Number of quotes
Although this page now contains 20 quotes (above the normal limit of 9 for a film of 102 minutes), I believe this film is a classic that deserves consideration under the exceptions clause of the quote limit (see WQ:LOQ#Exceptions). Per Wikipedia:
- Casablanca won three Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Its lead character, memorable lines, and pervasive theme song have all become iconic. The film has consistently ranked near the top of lists of the greatest films of all time.
- In 1989, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". In 2005, it was named one of the 100 greatest films of the last 80 years by Time magazine (the selected films were not ranked). Screenwriting teacher Robert McKee maintains that the script is "the greatest screenplay of all time". In 2006, the Writers Guild of America, west agreed, voting it the best ever in its list of the 101 greatest screenplays. The film has been selected by the American Film Institute for many of their lists.
- I have ALWAYS felt that way, about this film ESPECIALLY, but also about others. I thought it ridiculous, some of the trimming that has gone on at this page, and was always appalled at people taking as "absolute" rules to be IMPOSED what I had always believed should NEVER be more than GUIDELINES to be suggested, and IF and when exceeded, to be at most a target for reduction among those who could discuss their various preferences. I think treating them as "necessary" restrictions, especially when there are clearly no legal mandates for such is excessive, always, and what is MOST needed on wikis is FREEDOM to participate and actually be able to have dialogue towards acceptable solutions when some truly necessary conflicts do arise. ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 15:51, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
- Support exception. As someone who is continually appalled by the attention lavished on mediocre and even awful films here, let me say that, in my not so humble opinion, this is what Wikiquote is for. I endorse making an exception under WQ:LOQ based on this being a landmark of cultural heritage that contains a large amount of significantly quotable material. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:09, 1 March 2014 (UTC)