Cast Away is a 2000 adventure film about a fictional FedEx employee who is stranded on an island after his plane crashes on a flight over the South Pacific. The film depicts his attempts to survive on the island using remnants of his plane's cargo, as well as his eventual escape and return to society. Star Tom Hanks was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role at the 73rd Academy Awards for his critically acclaimed performance.
- We live and we die by time, and we must not commit the sin of turning our back on time.
- [Chuck talks to Wilson, the volleyball] Hey, you want to hear something funny? My dentist's name is James Spalding.
- [to Wilson] You wouldn't have a match by any chance, would you?
- [Having successfully lit a fire, putting more wood onto it] There we go! Light it up, c'mon! [Singing] "The time to hesitate is through!" [Throws more wood and gets briefly burned] Ouch! Haha, ouch! "No time to wallow in the mire. Try now, we can only lose. 'Cause girl, we can't get much higher. C'mon, baby, light my firrrrre!" [Takes a palm branch, lighting the end, then holding it up] There you go. There you go! It's a signal fire! And it spells out S.O.S! [Embers start falling around him] Woah! It's a meteor shower! [Drops the branch back into the fire] Fireflies, go! Run! You're free, you're free! [The fire burns bigger] Yes! YES! Look what I've created. I have made FIRE. I...have made fire!
- Gotta love crab. In the nick of time too. I couldn't take much more of those coconuts. Coconut milk is a natural laxative. That's something Gilligan never told us.
- We were enroute from Memphis, for eleven and a half hours, for 175 miles an hour, so they think that we're right here. But, we went out of radio contact, then flew around that storm for about an hour, so that's a distance of what, 400 miles? Four hundred miles squared, that's 160,000 times pi, 3.14... 502,400. That's a search area of 500,000 square miles. That's twice the size of Texas. They may never find us.
- [to Wilson] Do, do you have to keep bringing that up, huh? Ok, so it was a good thing we did a test because it wasn't going to be just a quick snap. Would've broken my neck, or leg or my back. Would've bled to death on the beach, but it's in the past. It was what, a year ago? SO let's just forget it.
- [to Wilson] We just might make it. Did that thought ever cross your brain? Well, regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, than to stay here and die on this shithole island spending the rest of my life talking to a goddamn VOLLEYBALL!
- I'm always going to keep this watch on Memphis time. Kelly time.
- [to Kelly] So, let me get one thing straight here...we have a football team but they play in Nashville?
- [to Kelly] I should've never gotten on that plane. I should've never gotten out of the car.
- We both have done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. Because I was never going to get off that island. I was going to die there, totally alone. I was going to get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course, you know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day, my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back in Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?
- Stan: We buried you. There was a coffin, a gravestone... the whole thing.
- Chuck Noland: I had a coffin?
- [Stan nods]
- Chuck Noland: Well what was in it?
- Kelly Frears: You said you'd be right back.
- Chuck Noland: I'm so sorry.
- Kelly Frears: Me too.
- Kelly Frears: I always knew you were alive, I knew it. Everybody said that I had to let you go. I love you. You're the love of my life.
- Chuck Noland: I love you too, Kelly. More than you'll ever know.
- [She gets in the car with him]
- Kelly Frears: [before he drives away] Chuck...
- Chuck Noland: You have to go home now. Chuck
- [Kelly nods]
- Bettina Peterson: You look lost.
- Chuck Noland: I do?
- Bettina Peterson: Where're you headed?
- Chuck Noland: Well, I was just about to figure that out.
- Bettina Peterson: Well, that's 83 South. And this road here will hook you up with I-40 East. If you turn right, that'll take you to Amarillo, Flagstaff, California. And if you head back that direction, you'll find a whole lot of nothing all the way to Canada.
- Chuck Noland: I got it.
- Bettina Peterson: All right, then. Good luck, cowboy.
- Chuck Noland: Thank you.
- Tom Hanks - Chuck Noland
- Helen Hunt - Kelly Frears
- Nick Searcy - Stan
- Jenifer Lewis - Becca Twig
- Chris Noth - James Spaulding
- Lari White - Bettina Peterson
- Vince Martin - Albert "Al" Miller
- Geoffrey Blake - Maynard Graham