|This stub page needs quotations, links to Wikipedia, or very brief additions of identifying source of information. See how you can help Wikiquote expand it.|
- Our church does not use musical instruments, as harps and psalteries, to praise God withal, that she may not seem to Judaize.
- We have brought into our churches certain operatic and theatrical music; such a confused, disorderly chattering of some words as I hardly think was ever in any of the Grecian or Roman theatres. The church rings with the noise of trumpets, pipes, and dulcimers; and human voices strive to bear their part with them. Men run to church as to a theatre, to have their ears tickled. And for this end organ makers are hired with great salaries, and a company of boys, who waste all their time learning these whining tones.
- Erasmus, Commentary on I Cor. 14:19
- Christian music doesn't require any thought at all! All you have to do is get crappy love songs and replace the word "baby" with "Jesus".
- -Eric Cartman, South Park[specific citation needed]
- Like all music, the figured bass should have no other end and aim than the glory of God and the recreation of the soul; where this is not kept in mind there is no true music, but only an infernal clamour and ranting.
- Where there is devotional music, God with his grace is always present.
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Original: "Bei einer andächtigen Musik ist allezeit Gott mit seiner Gnaden Gegenwart".