Jump to navigation Jump to search
Chrystos (born November 7, 1946, as Christina Smith) is a Native American activist and writer.
|This article about an activist is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
"They're always telling me I'm too angry" (1995)
- From Fugitive Colors (1995) Full text online
- They're always telling me I'm too angry
- Especially when I mention land theft or rape or genocide
- They go to therapy to understand themselves
- pound anonymous pillows safely with a stranger
- in the closed room of improper behavior
- There is
- no pillow I’m angry with.
- I’m too tired to be angry enough
- Angry that I can’t go anyplace
- without seeing demeaning images and outright lies about Indian people
- I’m livid that we can’t even keep the few pitiful acres we have left
- if they happen to have uranium or copper or coal.
- I'm angry that I can't sleep that I hate myself
- that I can’t write as well as I want
- because I’m so damn angry I can’t breathe
- Furious that nobody else seems to be angry
- and they don’t want me to be either
- Enraged at this whole sodden rotting mess they keep calling
- as it poisons the air and the water and kills everyone in it’s way.