Cinderella (2015 film)
Cinderella (2015 film) is a 2015 British romantic fantasy film directed and narrated by Kenneth Branagh, from a screenplay written by Chris Weitz. Produced by David Barron, Simon Kinberg and Allison Shearmur for Walt Disney Pictures, the story is inspired by the fairy tale Cinderella by Charles Perrault (with some references from the Brothers Grimm's version of the story). Although not a direct remake, it borrows many elements from Walt Disney's 1950 animated musical film of the same name.
The film had its world premiere on February 13, 2015, in the out of competition section of the 65th Berlin International Film Festival. It was released on March 13, 2015. The film received positive critical reviews and has grossed over $336 million worldwide.
- [to Prince "Kit" Charming] Just because it's what's done doesn't mean it's what should be done.
- Cinderella's Mother: [to young Ella] I want to tell you a secret that will see you through all the trials that life can offer. Have courage, and be kind. Ella, you have more kindness in your little finger than most people possess in their whole body... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic.
- Cinderella: Yes, stepmother.
- Lady Tremaine: You needn't call me that. Madam will do.
- Lady Tremaine: What on Earth have you've been doing?
- Cinderella: Dreaming, that's all.
- Lady Tremaine: Well, then wake up.
- Drizella: Cinder Wench!
- Anastasia: Dirty Ella!
- [chuckles briefly]
- Drizella: Cinderella! Cinderella! haha
- Prince Charming: I have to see her again.
- Cinderella: It was my mother's old dress.
- Lady Tremaine: It would be an insult to take you to the palace dressed in these old rags.
- Lady Tremaine: [to Cinderella, after she, Drizella, and Anastasia tear Cinderella's mother's dress] You shall not go to the ball!
- Goose Coachman: I can't drive, I'm a goose.
- Cinderella: They're all looking at you.
- Prince Charming: Believe me, they're all looking at you.
- [after Lady Tremaine breaks Cinderella's glass slipper]
- Cinderella: [horrified] Why... Why are you so cruel? I don't understand it... I've tried to be kind to you-
- Lady Tremaine: [scoffs] You? Kind to me?
- Cinderella: Yes! And no one deserves to be treated as you have treated me. Why do it? Why?!
- Lady Tremaine: [angry] Why? Because you are young, and innocent, and... [struggles] good! And I-! [breaks off suddenly, then storms out of the room, locking the door]
- Captain: Miss, you're requested and required to present yourself to your King.
- Lady Tremaine: I forbid you to do this!
- Captain: And I forbid you to forbid her. Who are you to stop an officer of the King? Are you an empress? A saint? A deity?
- Lady Tremaine: I am her mother!
- Cinderella: You have never been, and you never will be, my mother.
- Cinderella: [to Lady Tremaine, after having her foot fit in the glass slipper] I forgive you.
- Lily James as Ella ("Cinderella")
- Eloise Webb as young Ella
- Richard Madden as Prince "Kit" Charming
- Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine
- Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother
- Stellan Skarsgard as The Grand Duke
- Derek Jacobi as The King
- Hayley Atwell as Cinderella's Mother
- Holliday Grainger as Anastasia
- Sophie McShera as Drizella
- Nonso Anozie as Captain
- Ben Chaplin as Cinderella's Father
- Kenneth Branagh as the Narrator