Cindy Sheehan (born July 10, 1957) is an American anti-Iraq war activist and the mother of US Army Specialist Casey Sheehan, who was killed in action at age 24 in Sadr City, Iraq, on April 4, 2004, just five days after arriving in the country for duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
She gained national attention beginning on August 6, 2005 when she traveled to the Prairie Chapel Ranch belonging to President George W. Bush just outside Crawford, Texas during the President's vacation there, to demand a second meeting with the President and a longer explanation of the war and its causes.
- I didn't say that my son died for Israel. I've never said that. I saw somebody wrote that and it wasn't my words. Those aren't even words that I would say.
- Cindy Sheehan Sheehan says someone else made up the "my son died for Israel" quote that has been attributed to her Interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN CNN.com 4 March 2004
- I'm finished crying for Casey. I'm crying for all the other mothers.
- while visiting her son's cross at the Arlington West memorial in Santa Barbara, California, on Mother's Day, May 7, 2004
- George, it has been seven months today since your reckless and wanton foreign policies killed my son, my big boy, my hero, my best-friend: Casey.
- Cindy Sheehan An Open Letter to George W. Bush from Cindy Sheehan Free Republic, November 4, 2004
- We are waging a nuclear war in Iraq right now. That country is contaminated. It will be contaminated for practically eternity now.
- Cindy Sheehan was a featured speaker at a pro-Lynne Stewart rally held on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 at San Francisco State University. Among the sponsors of the event were the National Lawyers Guild, Campaign to End the Death Penalty, the International Socialist Organization, and the Campus Antiwar Network. 
- Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. My son joined the army to protect America, not Israel.
Sourced - August 6, 2005 to present
- Iraq was not involved in 9-11, Iraq was not a terrorist state. But now that we have decimated the country, the borders are open, freedom fighters from other countries are going in, and they [the U.S. government] have created more terrorism by going to an Islamic country...
- How many more of our loved ones need to die in this senseless war?
- TV Commercial, August 12, 2005
- This is George Bush’s accountability moment.
- Blog entry, August 11, 2005
- 1) We want our loved ones' sacrifices to be honored by bringing our nation's sons and daughters home from the travesty that is Iraq IMMEDIATELY, since this war is based on horrendous lies and deceptions. Just because our children are dead, why would we want any more families to suffer the same pain and devastation that we are.
- 2) We would like for him to explain this "noble cause" to us and ask him why Jenna and Barbara are not in harm's way, if the cause is so noble.
- 3) If George is not ready to send the twins, then he should bring our troops home immediately. We will demand a speedy withdrawal.
- press release from Gold Star Families for Peace, August 2005
- They can't ignore us, and they can't put us down. Thank God for the Internet, or we wouldn't know anything, and we would already be a fascist state.
- media conference call, August 11, 2005.
- The people who are slamming me have no idea about what it feels like to unjustly have a child killed in an insane war.
- Blog entry, August 13, 2005
- First of all, I was having fun. I was with a group of good-humored, cheerful, happy people. We were singing old protest songs and old Sunday school songs and clapping. I felt I had to be cheerful to set the tone. We didn't want any trouble or to do anything non-peaceful. Secondly, when I got arrested and the officers lifted me out I was afraid that America would see my underwear and that tickled me.
- "Why I Was Smiling and Hurricane Rita," Huffington Post , September 27, 2005
- Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not afraid of anything.
- "Sheehan, in Cuba, protests Guantanamo prison," MSNBC, 2007-01-06 
- We can't depend on the Democrats ... They got there and betrayed the grass roots that put them there
- "Bush critic Sheehan blasts US Democrats," Agence France-Presse 
- I am tired of the warmakers making war with our children. I am tired of our tired troops being sent over to do the dirty work for mob bosses who are going to squeeze the life out of Iraq and not leave until every asset and every natural resource has been raped from the country. I am tired of seeing Iraqis burying their loved ones and hearing the reverberating screams of mothers all over our country who are being destroyed for the benefit of a very few.
- Blog entry, January 15, 2007
- I don't speak for anyone but Cindy. (Chico CA May 2007)
Quotes about Cindy Sheehan
- As well as being a vulgar producer of her own spectacle, and an embarrassment to her family, Cindy Sheehan is at best a shifty fantasist.
- I think Mrs. Sheehan bears some responsibility for this and also for the responsibility of other American families who have lost sons and daughters in Iraq, who feel that this kind of behavior borders on treasonous.
- Cindy Sheehan has become the Rosa Parks of the anti-war movement. She's tired, fed up and she's not going to take it anymore, and so now we stand with her.
- Rev. Lennox Yearwood, leader of the Hip Hop Caucus Indybay.org