- If there is any way of destroying hatred and all that goes with it, it's not through evil and hatred and cruelty, but through charity, love, understanding.
- They say you can only get justice by shedding their last drop of blood. Isn't a lifetime behind prison bars enough for this mad act?...You hang these boys, it will mean that in this land of ours, a court of law could not help but bow down to public opinion.
- In those years to come, you might find yourself asking if it wasn't the hand of god dropped these glasses... And if he didn't, who did?
- [to Judd Steiner] It just irritates me to see anyone as brilliant as you make a jackass out of himself over someone like Artie Straus.
- The neighborhood is swarming with kidnappers and degenerates!
- Judd Steiner: To the perfect crime!
- Arthur Straus: Crime. Oh, my wealthy fraternity brothers. 67 dollars, and a second-hand typewriter.
- Arthur Straus: When we made the deal, you said you could take orders. You said you wanted me to command you.
- Judd Steiner: I do - as long as you keep your part of the agreement.
- Judd Steiner: Please, Artie - I'll do anything you say.
- Arthur Straus: Anything?
- Judd Steiner: Not tomorrow afternoon.
- Arthur Straus: Oh, you got another date? [in disbelief] Are you ditching me for some girl?
- Judd Steiner: I haven't been able to find you for three days.
- Jonathan Wilk: I wasn't expecting you to fall down on your knees and thank god for deliverance.
- Judd Steiner: "God"? That sounds rather strange coming from you, Mr. Wilk.
- Jonathan Wilk: A lifetime of doubt and questioning doesn't necessarily mean I've reached any final conclusions.
- Judd Steiner: Well I have. And god has nothing to do with it.
- Jonathan Wilk: You sure, Judd? In those years to come, you might find yourself asking if it wasn't the hand of god dropped those glasses... and if he didn't, who did?
- You know why we did it? Because we damn well felt like doing it!
- Sometimes murder is just a way to pass the time.
- THEIRS WAS THE PERFECT CRIME they thought! They were too sure...too smart...too careful to leave a clue -- but they did! and it exploded -- The shocking story of two teenagers out for kicks...looking for thrills...and finding them!
- Orson Welles - Jonathan Wilk
- Diane Varsi - Ruth Evans
- Dean Stockwell - Judd Steiner
- Bradford Dillman - Artie Strauss
- E. G. Marshall - District Attorney Harold Horn
- Martin Milner - Sid Brooks
- Richard Anderson - Max Steiner
- Robert F. Simon - Police Lt. Johnson
- Edward Binns - Tom Daly