Corpse Bride is a 2005 British-American stop-motion animation musical dark comedy animated film by Tim Burton. It is about a young man who, stressed by his upcoming wedding, goes for a walk to clear his head. When he returns, he's married to a corpse…
- Directed by Mike Johnson and Tim Burton. Written by John August, Pamela Pettler, and Caroline Thompson.
Victor Van Dort
- Tomorrow, Victoria, we are to be...[struggles to say "married"] Mmmm... mmmm... mmmm...
- You should see him with fur.
- Sir, I beg you to help. It means so much to me... us.
- I've got a... I've got a dwarf, and I'm not afraid to use him!
- [trying to practice his vows] With this hand, I will cup your... [unconsciously holds hands before his chest in a suggestive manner, and is then horrified] Oh goodness, no!
- [to the corpse of Scraps] Play dead... Oh, sorry.
- With this candle... I will set your mother on fire.
- With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way in darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.
- I'm already reeling, Mother. Shouldn't Victoria Everglot be marrying a lord or something?
- I-I-I do apologize, Miss Everglot. How rude of me to... Well... Excuse me.
- Ah, Mrs. Everglot. You look ravishing this evening. What's that, Mr. Everglot? Call you "dad"? If you insist, sir.
- Please, there's been a mistake. I'm not dead.
- Mother never approved of Scraps jumping up like this. But then again, she never approved of anything.
- Emily, there's something you should know. I...I did not come all this way to show you my parents. [Emily turns to him, shocked] I wanted to go back to the Land of the Living. I didn't think you'll do it if I asked. So...So I tricked you into doing this by telling you that you should meet my parents. [Emily glares at him, infuriated] Well, say something.
- [in James Purefoy's voice; as V] So you're the one behind all this. I have something for you, Lucifer. A farewell gift. For all the things you've done, for the things you might have done, and for the only thing you have left. [places a rose in Lucifer's coat] Goodbye, Lucifer. Gordon?
- If I touch a burning candle, I can feel no pain. If you cut me with a knife, it's still the same. And I know her heart is beating, and I know that I am dead; yet the pain here that I feel, try and tell me it's not real, and it seems that I still have a tear to shed.
- Isn't the view beautiful? It takes my breath away. Well, it would if I had any
- We need to go up. Upstairs? To visit the land of the living.
- I've spent so long in the darkness, I'd almost forgotten how beautiful the moonlight is.
- [after her hand escapes her arm and dances up Victor's arm] Pardon my enthusiasm.
- If I touch a burning candle I can feel no pain. In the ice or in the sun it's all the same. And I feel my heart is aching, though it doesn't beat it's breaking. Yet the pain here that I feel...try and tell me it's not real. And I know that I am dead. It seems that I still have some tears to shed.
- Maybe he should be with her. Little Miss Living, with her rosy cheeks and beating heart.
- I was a bride. My dreams were taken from me. Well now... now I've stolen them from someone else. I love you, Victor. But you are not mine.
- [to Victor] Out of the way, you ninny!
- There's an eye in me soup.
- Fetch me musket!
- Will the mortification never cease? It will be YEARS before we can show ourselves in public again!
- ENOUGH! This wedding cannot take place until he is properly prepared! [to Victor] Young man, learn your vows.
- What are you doing here at this hour? You should be at home, prostrate with grief!
- What a story it is. A tragic tale of romance, passion, and a murder most foul!
- Why go up there when people are dying to get down here?
- I have it. A Ukrainian Haunting Spell! Just the thing for these quick trips.
- Dearly beloved, and departed...
- Victor would have to give up the life he had forever. He would have to repeat his vows in the Land of the Living, and drink from the Wine of Ages. This would stop his heart forever. Only then would he be free to give it to you.
- If I hadn't just been sitting in it, I would say that you've lost your mind!
- [pushing out the Corpse Bride's eye so he can look for Victor] Don't worry. I'll keep an eye out for him.
- [to a villager] You don't know me, but I used to live in your dead mother.
- HEAR YE, HEAR YE! WEDDING REHEARSAL IN RUINS AS VAN DORT BOY CAUSES CHAOS! [sees Victor, and makes it a point to let him know] FISHY FIANCÈ COULD BE CANNED! EVERGLOTS ALL "FIRED UP" AS VAN DORT DISASTER RUINS REHEARSAL!
- HEAR YE, HEAR YE! VICTOR VAN DORT SEEN THIS NIGHT ON THE BRIDGE IN THE ARMS OF A MYSTERY WOMAN! THE DARK-HAIRED TEMPTRESS AND MASTER VAN DORT SLIPPED AWAY INTO THE NIGHT! And now the weather: scattered showers...
- In other news... THE DEAD WALK THE EARTH!!!
- [first lines] There is a charming tradition observed by the people of England. On their wedding day, they say the vows, "With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way in darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine." If they say it, they get married.
- Of all the people in all the world, the most romantic was Victor Van Dort. He had a secret love in his life, Victoria Everglot, the most beautiful girl in the town.
- [introducing everyone] These people you see here are the toys of very famous actors. The first is Bridget. A pretty woman who enjoys reading. She’s the toy of Kate Winslet and a faithful student of the deceased Chambers, who is named after Emma Chambers. She was once a young girl until she learned everything about friendship and became very pretty herself. This here is Ledger, a dog who was raised by Twilight long ago. He is named after Heath Ledger and sometimes he fibs a lot. He even got to talk, though he is given from Heath to Russell Brand. And here is Beavan, a very generous woman and a close friend of Victor. Due to her former owner Jenny Beavan, who gave her to Miriam Margolyes, her hobby is designing beautiful clothing in her boutique. Aniston here is a very kind-hearted pegasus pony who simply loves her animal friends and is named after Jennifer Aniston, but given to Jane Horrocks. This is Wynette, a very strong and honest earth pony named after country singer Tammy Wynette, but given to Molly Ringwald when she died, that has the strength to hit a tree hard enough to make apples fall off. Saunders, [chuckles] an incredibly humorous woman who is not only named after Jennifer Saunders, though given from her to Simon Pegg, but also likes jelly and makes others laugh. And finally, Mirren, a loyal and fast-flying pegasus pony with a rainbow-colored mane named after Helen Mirren, but given to Diane Lane when her voice became too old. She’s extremely heroic that she can never abandon and leave any of her friends behind. With Victor as their new friend, a thrilling adventure soon awaits.
- [introducing Lord Barkis Bittern] But someone else had his eye on the fair Victoria. Lord Barkis Bittern, an evil aristocrat who always gets his way.
- [the day of the wedding rehearsal] The wedding rehearsal was fast approaching. Everyone in the town buzzed with excitement. Victor's parents took to the Everglots' house to see the wedding rehearsal. And none was more determined than Victor himself. He was studying a butterfly at the time. But try as he might, Victor didn't have time to act. Poor Victor. With the play almost finished, how could he act and marry his perfect love, Victoria at the same time?
- [as Emily kissed Victor] Poor Bridget began to feel devastated for leaving Ledger in the town all alone. Leaving her best friend behind was just the hardest thing she ever did. Huddled against the wind and buffeted by the storm, Victor and his friends were sent far away to where there lived an enemy even greater than the wolf. Dead people.
- [as the wedding gets crashed] As they got reunited, Emily was determined to teach Victor that it wasn’t enough simply to be in love with Victoria. The time would come when he would have to fight for her. But with Lord Barkis as his opponent, would he and his friends be up to the challenge?
- [last lines] So Victor and Victoria proved that neither distance nor danger can stand in the way of true love. You need only follow your heart. And goodness glaciers, they lived happily ever after.
- Town Crier: VICTOR VAN DORT ELOPES WITH CORPSE! HEARTBROKEN BRIDE TO WED WEALTHY NEWCOMER!
- Nell Van Dort: Wealthy newcomer? It cannot be!
- William Van Dort: Did he say "corpse"?
- Nell Van Dort: Oh, don't be ridiculous. What corpse would marry our Victor?
- Victoria: Oh, Hildegarde... what if Victor and I don't... like each other?
- Maudeline: Humph! As if that has anything to do with marriage. Do you suppose your father and I like each other?
- Victoria: Surely you must, a little?
- Maudeline and Finis: Of course not!
- Maudeline: [as the dead ran rampant] They must be from your side of the family!
- Finis: Certainly not! If my Grandfather Everglot could see this he'd be turning in his grave!
- Grandfather: (booming) Finis! (they turn to see a skeleton who looks just like the portrait of Finis's grandfather, who says politely) Where do you keep the spirits?
- Pastor Galswells: [yelling] Begone, ye demons from Hell! Back to the void from whence you came! You shall not enter here! Back! Back!
- Skeleton: Keep it down, we're in a church.
- Emily: [recognizes Barkis] You.
- Lord Barkis: Emily?!
- Emily: YOU!
- Lord Barkis: But... I left you.
- Emily: For dead.
- [The crowd gasps]
- Elder Gutknecht: [to angry corpses] Wait! We must abide by their rules! We are amongst the living.
- Lord Barkis: Well said. [drinks the Wine of Ages and dies]
- Maggot: [amusing smile] Not anymore!
- [Barkis is turned into a corpse as his face's color changes to blue]
- Elder Gutknecht: Yup, you're right. He's all yours.
- [the corpses laugh diabolically as they surround Barkis and drag him to the underworld]
- Mrs. Plum: New arrival. [closes the door]
- Rising to the occasion.
- There's been a grave misunderstanding...
- Can a heart still break once it's stopped beating?
- Johnny Depp as Victor Van Dort (voice)
- James Purefoy as Victor Van Dort (motion capture)
- Helena Bonham Carter as Emily
- Emily Watson as Victoria Everglot
- Tracey Ullman as Nell Van Dort
- Paul Whitehouse as William Van Dort
- Joanna Lumley as Lady Maudeline Everglot
- Albert Finney as Lord Finis Everglot
- Richard E. Grant as Lord Barkis Bittern
- Christopher Lee as Pastor Gallswells
- Michael Gough as Elder Gutknecht
- Simon Callow as Narrator