Jump to navigation Jump to search
Life's a Gamble. (taglines)
- [self reflection] Now he had become the still center of that spinning wheel of misfortune. The world turned 'round him leaving him miraculously untouched. The croupier had reached his goal. He no longer heard the sound of the ball.
- Hang on tightly, let go lightly.
- [voiceover] Chapter 3. His existence was forming an interesting pattern of betrayals. Sometimes he was unsure whether he was the betrayer or the betrayed.
- [voiceover] The world breaks everyone, and afterwards many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break, it kills - it kills the very good, and the very gentle, and the very brave, impartially. If you are none of these, you can be sure it will kill you, too, but there will be no special hurry.
- [voiceover] Welcome back Jack, to the house of addiction.
- I'm not an enigma, just a contradiction.
- [voiceover] A wave of elation came over him; he was hooked again... watching people lose.
- [voiceover] Chapter 13. It's all numbers, the croupier thought. Spin of the wheel, turn of the card, time of your life, date of your birth, year of your death. In the book of Numbers the Lord said, "Thou shall count thy steps."
- Jani de Villiers: I understand if you don't, but I hope that you do.
- Marion Nell: Most men'll fuck a lamppost.
- Jani de Villiers: Do you believe in astrology?
- Jack: Absolutely not! But then, I'm a Gemini, and Geminis don't believe in astrology.
- Jack: Gambling's not about money... Gambling's about not facing reality, ignoring the odds.
- Marion: I must be a fool - I never think about the odds.
- Manicurist: So, what line of work are you in then?
- Jack: I'm an undertaker.
- David Reynolds: He's a good customer.
- Jack: A good customer is a consistent loser... but is that what he meant?
- Jack: "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places" - Ernest Hemingway.
- Matt: Wasn't he the one who shot himself?
- Lucy: You've been avoiding me.
- Jack: Have I? What's your name?
- Lucy: Lucy.
- Jack: So, what do you do, Lucy?
- Lucy: I'm a white witch!
- Jack: Are you gonna put a spell on me?
- Lucy: I might!
- Bella: How do I look?
- Jack: [to himself] Like trouble. [out loud] You look fine.
- Ross: You didn't recognize the man who attacked you did you?
- Jack: Of course I fucking recognized him.
- Ross: You did?
- Jack: I know a cheat when I see one... the man was a cheat.
- Life's a Gamble.
- Hang On Tightly... Let Go Lightly
- Clive Owen - Jack Manfred
- Kate Hardie - Bella
- Alex Kingston - Jani de Villiers
- Gina McKee - Marion Nell
- Nicholas Ball - Jack Sr.
- Alexander Morton - David Reynolds
- Nick Reding - Giles Cremorne
- Paul Reynolds - Matt
- Barnaby Kay - Car Dealer