Déjà Vu (2006 film)
Déjà Vu is a 2006 science fiction crime thriller about an A.T.F. agent who joins a unique investigation after a ferry is bombed in New Orleans using experimental surveillance technology to find the bomber, but soon finds himself becoming obsessed with one of the victims.
Agent Doug Carlin
- Everything you have, you lose, right? Mother, father - gone. Good looks, Pryzwarra? - gone. Loved ones gone in a second. That's what this job teaches you, isn't it? No matter what, no matter how hard you grab onto something - you still lose it, right?
- Well, you can be wrong a million times. You only gotta be right once.
- For all of my career, I've been trying to catch people after they do something horrible. For once in my life, I'd like to catch somebody before they do something horrible.
- What if you had to tell someone the most important thing in the world, but you knew they'd never believe you?
- Brace yourselves, I think you're about to witness a murder.
- It wasn't supposed to be like this...
- Last words
- Mr. Kuchever: Agent Carlin?
- Doug Carlin: Doug.
- Mr. Kuchever: I want you to take these. [hands over pictures of Claire Kuchever]
- Doug Carlin: Well, that's...
- Mr. Kuchever: Just go through them when you get a chance.
- Doug Carlin: It's really not necessary.
- Mr. Kuchever: Yes, it is. See, I know how these things go, Agent Carlin. And I need her to matter to you.
- Shanti: Tell me, is there any scientific or forensic insight likely to be gained by spying on this woman in the shower ?
- Alexander Denny: Shanti, we're trying to make sure the woman's clean.
- Shanti: We used huge amounts of energy to create this image!
- Doug Carlin: Alright, how huge?
- Alexander Denny: Well you remember that little blackout we had a few years back, we blamed Canada, Canada blamed Michigan...
- Doug Carlin: Half the northeast. You're saying you guys...
- Alexander Denny: 50 million homes?
- Gunnars: [raises hand] My bad!
- Alexander Denny: Well, I still say we blame Canada, but...
- Doug Carlin: Is she alive or is she dead?
- Alexander Denny: Alright: Life, like time and space, is not merely a local phenomenon.
- Doug Carlin: [Screaming] Oh alright! Am I asking a hard question?
- Alexander Denny: [Muttering] Looks like I picked a bad week to stop snorting hash.
- Doug Carlin: I'll tell you what: I will speak slow so that those of you with Ph.D's in the room can understand. Here, look. Here's a monitor, right?
- [Throws a chair against the monitor, breaking it]
- Doug Carlin: Now the monitor is broken. It's dead. It's not temporarily transitioned to another state of entropy, it's dead. Right. Now is she alive or is she dead?
- Alexander Denny: She's alive.
- Doug Carlin: Alright. Now we're getting somewhere.
- Doug Carlin: You killed 543 people. How do you feel about that? [pause] I think that you were a murderer right from the beginning.
- Carroll Oerstadt: Sometimes a little human collateral is the cost of freedom. To me, those people were war casualties, but to you, they're just evidence.
- Carroll Oerstadt: You think you know what's coming? You don't have a clue.
- Doug Carlin: I know where you're going. I know you're gonna be away for a long time. I know that.
- Carroll Oerstadt: This case will never even go to trial.
- Doug Carlin: No?
- Carroll Oerstadt: 'Cause I seen what's coming.
- Doug Carlin: Did... Have you? What? What is in this glass? You've seen what's coming, huh? Okay, what's coming? You tell me.
- Carroll Oerstadt: I told you earlier I have a destiny, a purpose. Satan reasons like man, but God thinks of eternity. Well, I prostrate myself before a world that's going to hell in a handbag, 'cause in all eternity, I am here and I will be remembered. That's destiny. A bomb has a destiny, a predetermined fate set by the hand of its creator, and anyone who tries to alter that destiny will be destroyed. Anyone who tries to stop it from happening will cause it to happen, and that's what you don't understand. We're not here to coexist. I'm here to win. So you'd better have some divine intervention, buddy. You're gonna need it.
- Doug Carlin: You'd better have some K-Y. You're gonna need it.
- Denzel Washington - ATF Special Agent Douglas Carlin
- Paula Patton - Claire Kuchever
- James Caviezel - Carroll Oerstadt
- Val Kilmer - FBI Special Agent Paul Pryzwarra
- Adam Goldberg - Dr. Alexander Denny
- Bruce Greenwood - FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Jack McCready
- Matt Craven - ATF Special Agent Larry Minuti
- Enrique Castillo - Mr. Kutchever
- Elden Henson - Gunnars
- Erika Alexander - Shanti
- Julia Lashae - Eyewitness / Survivor