Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dan Abnett (born 12 October 1965) is a British comic book and science fiction writer.
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Warhammer 40,000 Works
Gaunt's Ghosts (novel series)
First & Only
- Narration: Their gaze met for a few seconds. The exchange was as warm and friendly as a pair of automated range finders getting a mutual target lock.
- Commissar-General Delane Oktar: Winning is everything, but the trick is to know where the winning really is.... We're political animals, Ibram. Through us, if we do our job properly, the black and white of war is tempered. We are the interpreters of combat, the translators. We give meaning to war, subtlety, purpose even. Killing is the most abhorrent, mindless profession known to man. Our role is to fashion the killing machine of the human species into a positive force. For the Emperor's sake. For the sake of our own consciences.
- Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt: Give any man the power of a god, and you better hope he's got the wisdom and morals of a god to match. There's nothing feeble about my moral line. I value life. That is why I fight to protect it. I mourn every man I lose and every sacrifice I make. One life or a billion, they're all lives.
In Remembrance (2005)
- Real truth was out there in the shattered outhabs of Vervun hive. Real truth was waiting and silence, courage and stealth. Real truth was the ability to function in extremes. To fire a cannon and miss and try again. To fix a silver blade to the end of a las-weapon and leap from safety into a shroud of smoke, prepared as you did so to really use that makeshift spear. Real truth was a tiny hole in a man's forehead.
- Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn: All my life, I have had a reputation for being cold, unfeeling. Some have called me heartless, ruthless, even cruel. I am not. I am not beyond emotional response or compassion. But I possess - and my masters count this as perhaps my paramount virtue - a singular force of will. Throughout my career it has served me well to draw on this facility and steel myself, unflinching, at all that this wretched galaxy can throw at me. To feel pain or fear or grief is to allow myself a luxury I cannot afford.
- Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn: If he speaks again without me knowing who he is, I will throw him out of the window. And I won't open it first.
- Dan Abnett (2000). First & Only. Games Workshop. ISBN 0671783750.
- Dan Abnett (2001). Xenos. Games Workshop. ISBN 9780743411691.