Daniel Barenboim KBE (Hebrew: דניאל ברנבוים; born 15 November 1942) is an Israeli Argentine pianist and conductor. He has served as music director of several major symphonic and operatic orchestras and made numerous recordings.
- Music has the capacity to create a greater reality.
- Daniel Barenboim: 'Spaces of dialogue', 04 Aug 2013.
- The thing about Wagner is we’re always wrong about him, because he always embraces opposites … There are things in his operas which viewed one way are naturalistic, and viewed another way are symbolic, but the problem is you can’t represent both views on stage at once.
- Q&A: Daniel Barenboim, 2 November 2012.
- To have real knowledge, one must understand the essence of things and not only their manifestations.
- Proms 2013: Daniel Barenboim interview, 8 May 2013.
SPIEGEL Interview with Daniel Barenboim
- SPIEGEL Interview with Daniel Barenboim June 22, 2012
- I'm sure that there are many Israelis who dream of waking up one day to find the Palestinians gone. And there are many Palestinians who dream of going to bed at night and waking up the next morning to find the Israelis gone.
- I have the greatest respect for the survivors of the Holocaust. We can't even imagine what these people went through. And yet even they have differing positions … I respect that there are survivors who can't, and certainly don't want to, listen to this music. But I don't accept that the fact that an orchestra playing Wagner in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem would do any harm to someone sitting in an apartment in Haifa.
- Wagner exploited all forms of expression at a composer's disposal -- harmony, dynamics, orchestration -- to the extreme. His music is highly emotional, and at the same time Wagner has extraordinary control over the effect he achieves. That's why there is also something manipulative about Wagner's music, which is not to say that it's not honest. In fact, I believe that it's totally honest, but it also happens to be manipulative.