The College Kicked-Out (2004)
- "And as the mouthpiece
Of every single citizen without peace
Direction and leadership
I'ma spit it 'til your ears can't believe this shit
We got weapons of mass destruction, and we is it"
- "Talk To You (remix)"
- "I wish the government would quit tappin' phones in the ghetto
(Leave us alone) I wish my student loans were all settled
I wish they'd quit riggin' elections, the shit is depressin'
Bet your bottom dollar Bush wins again, no question
I wish AIDS didn't exist
I wish I didn't have flashbacks of my cousin slittin' his wrists
I wish there weren't so many single mothers and deadbeat dads
- "I Wish"
- "You mad at the last album, I apologize for it
Yo, I can't call it, man muh'fuckin' Wyclef spoiled it"
- "Two roads diverged in a wood, I took the one less travelled
I'm patient so that's one less hassle
If I dream it, I can live it
I've seen the light with vivid imagery
I need to write with fits of energy
But it's hard tryin' to get where I'm goin'
Without a hint or an omen
It's too late to turn around
Perseverance, gotta learn it now
But I'm stubborn how
Am I supposed to survive this rollercoaster hurtlin' to the ground?"
- "I guess it's true what they say, the third time's a charm
I grabbed the game and let it die in my arms
Then resurrected it
Changed clothes, same flow, perfected it
They know Swain though they still won't respect the kid
But I ain't slowin' up
This time, blowin' up
Sponsors, concerts, everybody showin' up
Know enough tricks of the trade to get a record deal:
Fresh kicks, press kits, sex appeal
Had to mail my demo out 'cause I ain't had enough bus pass
To take the bus first class
So frustrated, had to puff-puff-pass
Sent my CD out to Puff, Puff passed
Must've had enough trash on his desk this year
Sent one to So So Def, but it fell on so so deaf ears
I never once shed tears, this must be a test here"
- "D. Swain ain't never dwell on shit
So why would he start now?
The perfect time for him to depart, vowed
To make a name for myself
Get some fame, maybe gain some wealth (what else?)
I gave you the pain of a black man going through thangs
Just being myself and showing you Swain
Now a nigga feelin' disenchanted, jaded
'Cause instead of gettin' props, Danny got hated
Yeah I made it to the top, but I'm tossin' myself off
D. Swain kill his image? Chalk it up as a loss
- "Now You're Gone"
Danny Is Dead (2007)
- "So one time for my disillusioned artists, I hear ya
Two times for the kid that air-guitars in the mirror
Three times for the 9-to-5-in' bus ridin' dudes
And four times for my dreamers, yo I'm just like you
That's why I sing for my queens with their own pair of wings
My brothers flyin' beside me, drama behind me
Mama tried to find me, she inquired emphatically
I was in the sky with all these other ghetto kids, defying gravity, uh"
- "Fly, Pt. 2"
- "Tribe purist to the fullest
If'n you ain't feelin' this track, then you're full of it
Pull that li'l shit if you wanna, ya dig
But you ain't gonna do me like you did those Kidz, and clown me
Homage, comma, props
Call it what you want, but I'm not gonna stop
Record hit the store and I'm not gonna flop
And if I do, well then it's fodder for the message boards tomorrow"
- "Check It Out"
And I Love H.E.R. (2008)
- "I, once was retired but he's sort of back
Haven't been the same since Uncle L sneezed on a track
(Heee-shay!) I'm 'bout to throw some D's on the 'Lac
Sike...my guest appearances is cheese for the rats
Pease porridge hot? Nah nigga, pease porridge black
Please pour a batch of Singaporan tea, more than that
Y'all gon' need some bigger cups if you fuckin' with me and Naledge
Even college was a hustle to him, like me at Claflin
We is laughin' at the competition deviously
So much accomplished, Wikipedia's peeved"
- "Guess Who's Back"
- "But she just stood there, scared that I might snap
I looked in her eyes and there were years of disappointment starin' right back
And I was scared too, scared of what she would say
But I was embarassed like I, like I sat through three Madea plays
Before she walked away, Misery stopped
And she said 'look at your music career, you're in the same spot'
'Nah,' I said, 'don't even try me
Because you used to stand beside me
But I moved so far ahead you're ninety feet behind me'"
- "[Relationships] never seem to work out, I mean it gets to the point where I have to be extremely cautious. You have to understand, this stardom thing is still new to me, I don't even consider myself "famous". It's 2008: if you have a blog, a mixtape and two pairs of skinny jeans you, too, can be 'famous'."
- "I wasn’t reluctant about it. I’ve had so many fans online and at shows ask for my old material that I was surprised. So when I had the chance to release my back catalog on iTunes it was really for the fans. I’m still surprised when a fan comes up to me and ask about F.O.O.D. I want to please those fans that have enjoyed my previous albums and I also want to be able to see the progression of my music for posterity sake."
- "I rarely get mentioned in the same category as these other guys who have come out after me...[b]ut maybe I’m not that, maybe I’m not an Internet rapper."