Jump to navigation Jump to search
Darkness is the opposite of brightness, and is a relative absence of visible light.
- I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.
- Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World
- Now in darkness, world stops turning
ashes where the bodies burning.
- In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!
- Hal Jordan's oath, created by John Broome and Gil Kane
- Dark as pitch.
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress (1678), Part I.
- The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,
The Moon, their Mistress, had expired before;
The winds were wither'd in the stagnant air,
And the clouds perish'd; darkness had no need
Of aid from them—she was the Universe.
- Men will seem to see new destructions in the sky. The flames that fall from it will seem to rise in it and to fly from it with terror. They will hear every kind of animals speak in human language. They will instantaneously run in person in various parts of the world, without motion. They will see the greatest splendour in the midst of darkness. O! marvel of the human race! What madness has led you thus! You will speak with animals of every species and they with you in human speech. You will see yourself fall from great heights without any harm and torrents will accompany you, and will mingle with their rapid course.
- Leonardo da Vinci, The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci (1938), XX Humorous Writings, as translated by Edward MacCurdy.
- There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing
Is it raining?
Is it snowing?
Is a hurricane a-blowing?
Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?
Yes, the danger must be growing
'Cause the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!
- On the wide and silent plain, darkening the bright daylight, she turns midday into darkness.
- Darkness which may be felt.
- Exodus, 10:21.
- There was an old woman who lived in a room. And, like all of us, was frightened of the dark. But who discovered in a minute last fragment of her life that there was nothing in the dark that wasn't there when the lights were on. Object lesson for the more frightened amongst us, in or out, of the Twilight Zone.
- As spoken by Rod Serling in Twilight Zone Nothing in the Dark written by George Clayton Johnson
- I'm giving you a night call to tell you how I feel
I want to drive you through the night, down the hills
I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear
I'm gonna show you where it's dark, but have no fear.
- Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Where Do We Go From Here?" as published in Where Do We Go from Here : Chaos or Community? (1967), p. 62.
- Black and more black the midnight grew,
Black and more black was the water’s hue ;
Then a ghastly sound on the silence broke,
And I thought of the dead beneath the oak.
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Fisher's Drawing Room Scrap Book, 1835 (1834), 'St. Knighton’s Kieve'
- Darkness of slumber and death, forever sinking and sinking.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline (1847), Part II, V, line 108.
- Lo! darkness bends down like a mother of grief
On the limitless plain, and the fall of her hair
It has mantled a world.
- Joaquin Miller, From Sea to Sea, Stanza 4; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 160-61.
- Yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible.
- I understand that the word ‘occult’ means hidden, but surely that is not meant to be the final state of all this information, hidden forever. I don’t see why there is any need to further obscure things that are actually lucid and bright. Language and strange terminology – to keep them as some private mystery. I think there is too much darkness in magic. I can understand that it is part of the theatre. I can understand Aleister Crowley – who I think was a great intellect that was sometimes let down by his own flair for showmanship — but he did a lot to generate the scary aura of the magician that you find these sad, Crowleyite fucks making a fetish of. The ones who say ‘oh we’re into Aleister Crowley because he was the wickedest man in the world, and we’re also into Charles Manson because we’re bad. And we are middle-class as well, but we’re bad’. There are some people who seek evil – I don’t think there is such a thing as evil – but there are people who seek it as a kind of Goth thing. That just adds to the murk to what to me is a very lucid and flourescent subject. What occultism needs is someone to open the window, it’s too stuffy and it smells. Let’s get some fresh air, throw open the curtains – I can’t go for that posturing, spooky guy stuff. When they wanted me to do Fortean TV it became apparent that they wanted me to be Spooky Bloke. But I’m not actually trying to look spooky. I dress in black because it makes me look less fat, it’s as simple as that. It’s not a gothic flourish. I don’t want to be thought of as a figure of mystery or a master of the occult, surely this is about illumination, casting light on things. I’m an illuminist, that’d do for me.
- Alan Moore De Abaitua interview (1998)
- Once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning.
- "Rust" Cohle, Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (TV series), Form and Void, written by Nic Pizzolatto
- Haunted trees
covered behind the curtains of their own leaves
stare at the dark
from the fringe of streets.
- Suman Pokhrel, In Midnight Street.
- Creation does not cease
just because there is darkness!
- Suman Pokhrel, In Midnight Street.
- God is the ally of those who believe. He brings them out from darknesses into the light. And those who disbelieve - their allies are Taghut. They take them out of the light into darknesses. Those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide eternally therein.
- Quran 2:257
- Or (the state of a disbeliever) is like the darkness in a vast deep sea, overwhelmed with a great wave topped by a great wave, topped by dark clouds, darkness, one above another, if a man stretches out his hand, he can hardly see it! And he for whom God has not appointed light, for him there is no light.
- Quran 24:40
- Brief as the lightning in the collied night,
That, in a spleen, unfolds both heaven and earth,
And ere a man had power to say, Behold!
The jaws of darkness do devour it up.
- The charm dissolves apace,
And as the morning steals upon the night,
Melting the darkness, so their rising senses
Begin to chase the ignorant fumes that mantle
Their clearer reason.
- And out of darkness came the hands
That reach thro' nature, moulding men.
- Concern with this world is darkness in the heart, but concern with the Hereafter is light in the heart.
- Uthman, Al-Isti'ad li Yawm al-Mia'd, p. 9
- It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after
Ends life, kills laughter.
- One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
- And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!