- Jack: Hi. There's no place to go now, Adrienne. Now there's nowhere to hide. I don't want to hurt you, Adrienne. I never wanted to hurt anybody! But when I have to do something, I do it. I always do whatever comes next, no matter how difficult it is. If I have to do something, then I do-- I always do whatever comes next! No matter how difficult it is!
- Jack: Now. Give me the necklace, Adrienne.
- Adrienne: Here... take it.
- Adrienne: I-- I really do apologize, I wouldn't bother you normally, but I just have to have that necklace tonight.
- Carol: No! She said I could have this!
- Mrs. Gingold: I know, honey. But the necklace isn't a toy, and...
- Carol: Daddy!
[runs from the room]
- Carol: She said I could have it, and now she wants it back!
- Mr. Gingold: This is very confusing for Carol, Mrs. Saunders.
- Adrienne: I'm sure it is, Mr. Gingold. But this happens to be a very valuable piece of jewelry.
- Mr. Gingold: I know how you feel, Carol. It's very confusing when grown-ups do things that aren't fair.
[gives Adrienne a dirty look]
- Mr. Gingold: But you have to accept that these things happen in life...
- Adrienne: [grabs the necklace] Oh, for Christ's sake! Isn't anybody in charge around here?