Deep Blue Sea (1999 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Deep Blue Sea is a 1999 science-fiction horror film about a group of scientists searching for a cure to Alzheimer's disease on an isolated research facility who become the bait as a trio of intelligent sharks fight back.
- Directed by Renny Harlin. Written by Duncan Kennedy, Donna Powers, and Wayne Powers.
How fast can you swim?
- Despite my reputation, I don't like heights. Especially falling from them.
- So here's the riddle. What does an eight thousand pound mako shark with a brain the size of a flat head V8 engine and no natural predators think about?
- You think water moves fast? You should see ice. It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once and got a taste for murder. After the avalanche came, it took us a week to climb out. And somewhere, we lost hope. Now, I don't know exactly when we turned on each other. I just know that seven of us survived the slide... and only five made it out. Now we took an oath, that I'm breaking now. Swore we'd say it was the snow that killed the other two, but it wasn't. Nature can be lethal, but it doesn't hold a candle to man. Now you've seen how bad things can get and how quick they can get that way. Well, they can get a whole lot worse. So we're not going to fight anymore! We're going to pull together and find a way to get out of here! First, we're gonna seal off this pool-- [gets eaten by a shark] AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! [another shark is seen tearing his upper body off]
Dr. Susan McCallister
- By the end, all my father could do was ask why my mother wasn't at home. Each time I said she was dead, I watched him take the loss like a car wreck. What if you could end all that suffering with a single pill? Give me till Monday morning. 48 hours. My results will skyrocket your stock price...or I'll help you pack the lab myself. It's your call.
- You wait your whole life for a single moment...and then one day, it's tomorrow.
- She may be the smartest animal on the planet, but she's still just an animal.
- Beneath its glassy surface...a world of gliding monsters.
- Sharks never get cancer, go blind or show loss of brain activity as they age. Unlike some people I know.
- We could all just dive in and see who makes it to the top. Isn't that the old Aquatica spirit, Dr. Susie? Just dive in? You could go first, just to lead by example.
- Who you gonna trust? Me, that's who. You trust me. You know why? Because I'm trustworthy.
- Did someone order the fish?
- I don't make waves. I meet the terms of my parole. I'm not out to change the world, like the doc. I'm not out to wreck it either.
- That's the answer to the riddle. Because that's what an 8000 pound mako thinks about. About freedom. About the deep blue sea.
- I tell you, man...I quit this job.
- Exactly how many sticks of dynamite would you have to set off in your ears before your head would clear?
- Sharks are the oldest creatures on the planet...from a time when the world was just flesh and teeth.
Sherman "Preacher" Dudley
- If this is a lesson about the drinking, let's just say I've learned it. No need to get carried away, showing me your vengeful side. I know your wrath, Lord.
- This isn't happening. I'm not Daniel when he faced the lion! So I appreciate the irony, Lord! Cook dies in his own oven! But I've got other plans! [jumps out of upper oven and swims away, lights lighter] You ate my bird! [throws lighter into open oven and blows up the shark]
- Even in death: Standards.
- Einstein's theory of relativity. Grab hold of a hot pan, a second can seem like an hour. Put your hands on a hot woman...an hour can seem like a second. It's all relative.
- Death is always useless, doctor.
- My name is Sherman Dudley...and if this message finds you, I did not survive, so this is my legacy. I have loved the pulpit and I have loved the bottle. I did my best to be a good husband, a father. I came up wanting. So what do I have to say to you? What mark do I have to leave behind? [beat] We'll begin with the perfect omelette, made with two eggs, not three. Amateurs often add milk for density. This is a mistake!
- Brothers never make it out of situations like this. Not ever!
- I hate to interrupt this moment of burgeoning intimacy, but can we get the fuck out of here?
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. Because I carry a big stick and I'm the meanest master fracker in the valley! Two sharks down, Lord! One demon fish to go! Can I get an Amen?
- Janice Higgins: Welcome to our island paradise.
- Russell Franklin: Where's Tattoo? [Janice looks at him blankly] You know, short guy? The plane, boss! The plane!
- Janice Higgins: [confused] Right.
- Russell Franklin: [sighing, to himself] I am getting old.
- Janice Higgins: [pointing out a man on the tower] There's Dr. Jim Whitlock, the most brilliant man ever.
- Russell Franklin: He's pissing into the wind. How brilliant can he be?
- Carter Blake: Happy birthday?
- Susan McCallister: I'll let you know tomorrow. How's life underwater?
- Carter Blake: Well, it's a lot less complicated...than it is on the surface. That's for sure.
- Russell Franklin: [on seeing the modified shark] What in God's creation...?
- Jim Whitlock: Oh, not His. Ours.
- Russell Franklin: Was that a goddamn shark broke through that door?
- Carter Blake: I expect so.
- Russell Franklin: You expect so? Well, well, well. Am I the only asshole down here who thinks that a tad bit odd? It can do that? Bust through a steel door?
- Carter Blake: I ain't the expert. Given Gen Two's size and some room to move...she could put a couple tons, maybe more, into a hit. So, yeah, in my opinion. If she wants through, she's coming.
- Russell Franklin: And these sharks...they aren't breaking down doors for the sheer joy of it, are they? They're after us.
- Carter Blake: How much dynamite do you have to set off in your ears before your head clears?
- Susan McCallister: You wouldn't understand.
- Carter Blake: I wouldn't, huh? Dumb old Carter wouldn't understand that you used us? That you used me? Someone on the water who wouldn't make waves. Someone who wouldn't ask too many questions...because he had something to lose.
- Susan McCallister: You don't see what we've done here.
- Carter Blake: No, what you've done is taken God's oldest killing machine and given it will and desire. What you've done is knocked us all the way to the bottom of the goddamn food chain. It's not a great leap forward in my book.
- Susan McCallister: The people we'll save....
- Carter Blake: Jim? Brenda? Us?
- Susan McCallister: Everything I've done...I don't think I could've done it without you.
- Carter Blake: I know, Susan. That's the problem.
- Sherman "Preacher" Dudley: Back to the old ghetto.
- Carter Blake: Amen.
- Thomas Jane Carter Blake
- Saffron Burrows Dr. Susan McCallister
- Samuel L. Jackson Russell Franklin
- Jacqueline McKenzie Janice Higgins
- Michael Rapaport Tom Scoggins
- Stellan Skarsgård Dr. Jim Whitlock
- LL Cool J Sherman "Preacher" Dudley
- Aida Turturro Brenda Kerns