Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Cornwall is a fantastic place to live and work and do business. I was speaking to some people about some of the opportunities which could be provided by Brexit. There are real opportunities for us that are not there while we are in the European Union.
- Quoted by Cornwall Live. Cornwall MP Derek Thomas defends signing Theresa May 'ransom note' for hard Brexit (21 February 2018)
- The work of setting up deals is well under way and there are deals being done around the world for when we leave, but the real challenge for us is that fishermen are understood and the way the government recognises that challenge and work in their interest. ... But it's not clear yet that the Government has the guts and the resolve to deliver for fishermen.
- Said in an interview with BBC Radio Cornwall. Quoted by Cornwall Live. St Ives MP Derek Thomas questions Government's 'guts and resolve' over getting Brexit right for fishermen (29 March 2018)
- For me, getting a good Brexit is about securing the freedoms and opportunities to plough our own furrow whilst enjoying a relationship of co-operation and trade with mainland Europe.
- Quoted in the Falmouth Packet. Brexit conversation in Helston with MP Derek Thomas (10 November 2018)
- If Jeremy Corbyn really recognised and honoured the referendum result, which they did put in their manifesto, then I think he would have done more to support the withdrawal agreement. All he says is ‘we need general election’, which is purely self serving. It is not in the interest of the country. I don’t know anybody who is saying to me let’s have another election.
- Said in an interview with Cornish Stuff website. MP regrets abstaining, others condemn last night’s Brexit vote (4 April 2019)
- The First Past the Post voting system we use for general elections means that many voters do not feel they have a stake in our democracy.
- Written in an article in the Telegraph. As a Tory MP, I know we'll never restore trust in politics until we ditch First Past the Post (2 July 2019)
- I am in support of all the demands they [climate strikers] are making and, having persistently lobbied Government for greater action with regard to climate change, was delighted to discuss a range of issues
- Quoted by Cornish Stuff. Youth climate strikers tell MP “The novelty wont wear off” (2 July 2019)
- Trust in politics has diminished, people want something to believe in and be part of. A leader who can grasp this climate change challenge, giving everyone a stake in how this great nation goes forward deserves my support, and will get it.
- Said in a letter to candidates for the 2019 Conservative leadership contest. Quoted by Cornwall Live. Rossiter Keith (29 May 2019) Cornwall MP Derek Thomas sends message to next Prime Minister contenders on the Cornwall Live website. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
Quotes about Thomas
- Alphabetized by surname
- We were invited to meet with Derek Thomas a couple of weeks ago. He told us to stop striking. He said the ‘novelty of missing school’ would wear off.
- Ella Davey, youth climate striker. Quoted by Cornish Stuff. Youth climate strikers tell MP “The novelty wont wear off” (2 July 2019)