District 9 is a 2009 science fiction film about an extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth who suddenly finds a kindred spirit in a government agent who is exposed to their biotechnology.
- Directed by Neill Blomkamp. Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell, and produced by Peter Jackson.
Wikus Van De Merwe
- [pointing at alien graffiti] This is basically a guy, and there's three humans here. Basically trying to make a warning, you know, he's saying "I killed three humans, watch out for me."
- You almost poked my eye out with a fookin' lollipop! I'm tryin' to be fookin' nice to you, man!
- [on the phone, after his call is aborted] I've been friends with you for fookin' 19 years, man! [to an observer] Fook off! What are you watching, man?! Fook off!
- [catches on that the alien ship's command section is under Christopher Johnson's shack] This whole's thing's under your shack? For 20 years, you've had this fookin' thing hidden down here? This is, this is very illegal. I mean, this is... this is a fine — if they catch you with it.
- [to his wife] Honey, you have to believe me, I never had sex with a creature. I would never have sex with any fookin' creature!
- [in the Exo-Suit] You wanna fookin' play with me, Koobus?! You fooker!
- MNU Agent: MNU! We're serving eviction notices.
- Alien: What is "eviction"?
- Christopher Johnson's Son: How many moons does our planet have?
- Christopher Johnson: Seven.
- Johnson's Son: This planet only has one. I can't wait to see our planet again... it's bigger than this one, isn't it?
- Johnson: [turns off holographic atlas of what seems to be the Alien home planet] Enough.
- Johnson's Son: We go home now?
- Johnson: Not home, no. This is where we must go. [shows his son an MNU brochure outlining "Sanctuary Park Alien Relocation Camp" aka District 10] See that tent there? That might be ours.
- Johnson's Son: I want to go home!
- Johnson: We can't go home. Not anymore.
- Christopher Johnson's Son: Fuel goes in here!
- Christopher Johnson: That's enough! QUIET!
- Johnson's Son: ...then we fly away.
- Johnson: I said QUIET! We cannot trust him.
- Wikus Van De Merwe: What is he saying about the fuel, is this, are you trying to start this thing? He-he... Are you little fokkers trying to start this, and get away, eh?
- Johnson: Never mind.
- Van De Merwe: Ha-ha. Yeah, you sneaky fokken prawns, heh? I knew you prawns were intelligent.
- Johnson: Too bad. I could have fixed you.
- Van De Merwe: Wha-- Well-well-wha-what did you say about-about the fixing?
- Christopher Johnson: [after Wikus uses his alien weapon to kill a guard] Fuck! I thought you said not to kill them?
- Wikus Van De Merwe: He shot at me!
- Wikus Van De Merwe: Don't give up on me, Okay? Because I haven't given up on you. Alright?
- Tania Van De Merwe: I won't.
About District 9
- I thought with the aliens, you’d think, “I don’t want to sit next to that on the bus, they look insane, they look barbaric.” And then by the end of the film, you’ve done a 180 on your perception of them. And that’s why their design reflects that. They are gross. They are insect-like, which represents this sort of hive-structure society that they come from, and then they have a human sort of geometry to their face and eyes, so that at some point in the film, you can feel that there’s a sentient creature behind those eyes. So they have to have both of those two things, which is a bit of a balancing act.
- I really wanted the film to feel as real as possible, but I think if you spoon-feed people every piece of detail, it makes it less real. It just feels like a Hollywood spoon-feeding festival, as opposed to if you throw the audience into the middle of it, so they’re kind of trying to figure out what’s going on. I was okay with how much wasn’t explained.
- Sharlto Copley - Wikus van de Merwe
- Jason Cope - Grey Bradnam, Christopher Johnson
- Eugene Khumbanyiwa - Obesandjo
- David James - Colonel Koobus Venter
- William Allen Young - Dirk Michaels
- Louis Minnaar - Piet Smit
- Mandla Gaduka - Fundiswa Mhlanga
- Vanessa Haywood - Tania van de Merwe
- Sylvaine Strike - Katrina McKenzie
- John Sumner - Les Feldman
- Jed Brophy - James Hope
- Vittorio Leonardi - Michael Bloemstein