Diversity is a word which indicates the variety, or ranges of differences which exist in a group. In sociology and politics regarding multiculturalism, diversity, is quality of social entities (neighborhoods, student bodies, nations, etc.) with members who have identifiable differences in their cultural backgrounds or lifestyles.
- See also:
- A novel is balanced between a few true impressions and the multitude of false ones that make up most of what we call life. It tells us that for every human being there is a diversity of existences, that the single existence is itself an illusion in part, that these many existences signify something, tend to something, fulfill something; it promises us meaning, harmony, and even justice.
- Saul Bellow, Nobel Prize lecture (12 December 1976)
- If you look incessantly for variety, sooner or later you will discover that you need more wisdom.
- Fausto Cercignani in: Brian Morris, Simply Transcribed. Quotations from Writings by Fausto Cercignani, 2014, quote 51
- A democracy is more than a form of government; it is primarily a mode of associated living, of conjoint communicated experience. The extension in space of the number of individuals who participate in an interest so that each has to refer his own action to that of others, and to consider the action of others to give point and direction to his own, is equivalent to the breaking down of those barriers of class, race, and national territory which kept men from realizing the full import of their activity. These more numerous and more varied points of contact denote a greater diversity of stimuli to which an individual has to respond; they consequently put a premium on variation in action. They secure a liberation of powers which remain suppressed as long as the incitations to action are partial, as they must be in a group which in its exclusiveness shuts out many interests.
- I do not claim any ability to read God's mind. I am sure of only one thing. When we look at the glory of stars and galaxies in the sky and the glory of forests and flowers in the living world around us, it is evident that God loves diversity. Perhaps the universe is constructed according to a principle of maximum diversity.
- Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
- If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.
- Leisure for reflection, somewhere near the end of a long career, leads me to thank God for allowing me to live in a society sufficiently free of Governmental control to allow the citizenry expression of its true diversity, which is to say, diversity of thought.
- David Mamet, A Secret Knowledge, p. 16
- 4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man, to profit withal.
8 For to one is given, by the Spirit, the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge, by the same Spirit;
9 To another, faith by the same Spirit; to another, the gifts of healing, by the same Spirit;
10 To another, the working of miracles; to another, prophecy; to another, discerning of spirits; to another, divers kinds of tongues; to another, the interpretation of tongues.
11 But all these worketh that one and the self-same Spirit, dividing to every man severally, as he will.
- Paul of Tarsus, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 as quoted by John Locke, An Essay for the Understanding of St. Paul's Epistles (1812) pp.165-166
- Because of our polyglot background, we have had all the strength in the world.
- Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. […] If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.