Down syndrome or Down's syndrome, also known as trisomy 21, is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of a third copy of chromosome 21. It is usually associated with physical growth delays, mild to moderate intellectual disability, and characteristic facial features. The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental ability of an eight- or nine-year-old child, but this can vary widely.
- Children born with Down Syndrome are not vegetables, nor are their lives demonstrably not worth living.
- Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.
- Now she is like the others.
- Maintenant, elle est comme les autres.
- Charles de Gaulle Spoken at the funeral of his daughter Anne, who had Down Syndrome, February 1948. Quoted in De Gaulle by Julian Jackson
- He has Down's syndrome, a genetic defect involving varying degrees of mental retardation and, sometimes, serious physical defects. When he was born we were bombarded with advice and information, much of it mistaken. Eve 13 years ago there was more certitude than certainty in the prognoses, most of which were too pessimistic.
- WTF? Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister of Canada!? He has Down Syndrome. What the fuck have you idiots done!?!?!!?