Dracula (1979 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Throughout history, he has filled the hearts of men with terror, and the hearts of women with desire. Taglines
Dracula is a 1979 film about the ancient Transylvanian vampire Count Dracula, his voyage to England and his hunting by legendary monster hunter Abraham Van Helsing. It is a remake of the 1931 classic.
- Directed by John Badham. Written by Bram Stoker, Hamilton Deane, John L. Balderston, and W. D. Richter.
- You fools! Do you think with your crosses and your wafers you can destroy me? Me! You do not know how many men have come against me. I am the king of my kind! You have accomplished nothing, Van Helsing. Time is on my side. In a century, when you are dust, I shall wake and call Lucy, my queen from her grave.
- [to Lucy] Now it is you, my best beloved one. You will be flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood. You shall cross land or sea to do my bidding. I need your blood. I need...
- Dr. Jack Seward: Count, some wine? You haven't...
- Count Dracula: No thank you, Doctor. I never drink wine.
- Lucy Seward: Before you arrived, we were looking at the ship's log.
- Count Dracula: It wasn't lost at sea?
- Lucy Seward: No. The very last entry was a strange word, a word that Mina thought meant "undead".
- Count Dracula: Undead?
- Mina Van Helsing: Yes. "Nosferatu".
- Count Dracula: Ah, it means "not dead".
- Lucy Seward: Then you were right.
- Count Dracula: No, with your permission and all due respect to Miss Van Helsing. Yes, I'm quite finished, thank you. There is a distinction, the words "not dead" carry the simple meaning.
- Mina Van Helsing: Dead... undead... I don't care! They all frighten me!
- Lucy Seward: Oh, I love to be frightened!
- Count Dracula: Do you?
- Dr. Jack Seward: [sending a message to Van Helsing over the phone] Mina has died. No, not lied... died! Telegraph or come at once. Your dear friend on this saddest of occasions, Jack Seward. [hangs up the phone] Yes, I do hope the professor gets it. That poor, poor man.
- Lucy Seward: Poor Mina.
- Jonathan Harker: Do you think it was her heart?
- Lucy Seward: Or that pain in her head last light?
- Dr. Jack Seward: I don't know. It's been so long since I've practiced real medicine.
- Jonathan Harker: Well, what do you think killed her?
- Dr. Jack Seward: Killed her? That's an odd word. Yet, there was no sign of disease.
- Jonathan Harker: What about those marks on her neck?
- Dr. Jack Seward: Marks on her neck? Perhaps she injured herself from fastening her shawl.
- Lucy Seward: Oh, father, don't be absurd! You saw those wounds!
- Count Dracula: Jonathan Harker tells me you speak some Romanian.
- Lucy Seward: Well, hardly, I know...
- Count Dracula: Ar fi frumos să te văd zâmbet.
- [Lucy smiles]
- Count Dracula: There, you do understand.
- Lucy Seward: [still smiling] Not really. I have no idea what you said.
- Count Dracula: I said it would be nice to see you smile.
- Lucy Seward: [pause] Then you should be pleased.
- Count Dracula: Oh, I am. But I must warn you to take care.
- Lucy Seward: Whatever for?
- Count Dracula: If, at any time, my company does not please you, you will have only yourself to blame for an acquaintance who seldom forces himself but is difficult to be rid of.
- Count Dracula: [hears wolves howling] Listen to them, the children of the night. What sad music they make.
- Lucy Seward: Do you think it's sad?
- Count Dracula: So lonely, like weeping.
- Lucy Seward: I think it's a wonderful sound. I really love the night. It's so simple.
- Count Dracula: So deceptive.
- Lucy Seward: So exciting.
- Count Dracula: You take the dawn for granted. The warm hot sunlight. Ah, but the night...
- Lucy Seward: was made to enjoy.
- Count Dracula: Yes. Yes, it was. It was made to enjoy life... and love.
- Count Dracula: You are a wise man, Professor, for someone who has not yet lived a single lifetime.
- Prof. Abraham Van Helsing: You flatter me, Count.
- Count Dracula: But not wise enough to return to Holland at once, now that you have learned what you have learned.
- Prof. Abraham Van Helsing: I prefer to remain.
- Count Dracula: In the past 500 years, Professor, those who have crossed my path have all died, and some not pleasantly. Come here! [raises his hand to hypnotize Van Helsing]
- [Van Helsing take hypnotized steps towards Dracula but soon steps back, resisting Dracula's power over him]
- Count Dracula: Your will is strong. Then I must come to you.
- [Van Helsing reaches out for his eucharist as Dracula lunges towards him]
- Count Dracula: Sacrilege! Sacrilege! [snarls and turns into a wolf to escape]
- Lucy Seward: [talking about Dracula] He's no danger to me.
- Jonathan Harker: He's a monster, a vampire!
- Lucy Seward: You fools, all of you!
- Prof. Abraham Van Helsing: She means to warm him.
- Lucy Seward: Jonathan, if you try to stop me, I shall kill myself.
- Abraham Van Helsing: I charge you on your living soul, Lucy Seward, that you do not die or think of death until this great evil which has fouled your life is true dead himself!
- Lucy Seward: You dare try to confuse me! Tormenting him who is the saddest, the kindest of all!
- Prof. Abraham Van Helsing: Kind? If I could send his soul to everlasting, burning hell, I would!
- Lucy Seward: I despise you, all of you. Get out of my way!
- Milo Renfield: I'm a slave, I'm a dog, master. But please don't kill me. For the love of God let me live.
- Count Dracula: Did I not promise you that you should come to me at you death, and enjoy centuries of life and power over the bodies and souls of others?
- Milo Renfield: But I don't want human life.
- Count Dracula: You betrayed me. You sought to warn them all against me.
- Milo Renfield: Then punish me, torture me, I deserve it. But please don't kill me.
- Count Dracula: Oh, Renfield, you disappoint me so. [breaks Renfield's neck]
- Count Dracula: Lucy, come! Come to me!
- [Lucy runs into Dracula's arms, and he embraces her]
- Count Dracula: Now, you must go on a bit longer as of a creature of this earth. Only until we have left behind those who would destroy us.
- Lucy Seward: And then?
- Count Dracula: Then you will join me on a higher plane feeding on them. We will create more of our kind, Lucy.
- Throughout history, he has filled the hearts of men with terror, and the hearts of women with desire.
- The story of the greatest lover who ever lived, died, and lived again.
|Frank Langella||Count Dracula|
|Sir Laurence Olivier||Abraham Van Helsing|
|Donald Pleasence||Dr. Jack Seward|
|Kate Nelligan||Lucy Seward|
|Trevor Eve||Jonathan Harker|
|Jan Francis||Mina Van Helsing|
|Tony Haygarth||Milo Renfield|