Dredd is a 2012 science fiction action film directed by Pete Travis and written and produced by Alex Garland. It is based on the 2000 AD comic strip Judge Dredd and its eponymous character created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. Karl Urban stars as Judge Dredd, a law enforcer given the power of judge, jury and executioner in a vast, dystopic metropolis called Mega-City One that lies in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Dredd and his apprentice partner, Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), are forced to bring order to a 200-storey high-rise block of flats and deal with its resident drug lord, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey).
- America is an irradiated wasteland. Within it lies a city. Outside the boundary walls, a desert. A cursed earth. Inside the walls, a cursed city, stretching from Boston to Washington D.C. An unbroken concrete landscape. 800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Mega blocks. Mega highways. Mega City One. Convulsing. Choking. Breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street. The gun. The gang. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: the men and women of the Hall of Justice. Juries. Executioners. Judges.
- Can't execute a perp on 99%.
- Inhabitants of Peach Trees, this is Judge Dredd. In case you people have forgotten, this block operates under the same rules as the rest of the city. Ma-Ma is not the law. I am the law. Ma-Ma is a common criminal. Guilty of murder. Guilty of the manufacture and distribution of the narcotic known as Slo-Mo. And as of now, under sentence of death. Any who obstruct me in carrying out my duty will be treated as an accessory to her crimes. You have been warned. And as for you, Ma-Ma...Judgment time.
- Citizen Ma-Ma. Your crimes are multiple homicide and the manufacture and distribution of narcotics. How do you plead? [Ma-Ma stares defiantly at Dredd] Defense noted.
- Mega City One. 800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: Judges.
Judge Cassandra Anderson
- I was born and raised in a block like this before the Justice Department took me. I know there are good people inside, good families just trying to get by. Yes, I believe I can make a difference.
- Welcome to the inside of your head. It's kind of empty in here.
Madeline "Ma-Ma" Madrigal
- Skin them. Toss them over the balcony.
- Peach Trees. This is Ma-Ma. Somewhere in this block are two Judges. I want them dead. Until I get what I want, the block is locked down. All clan, every level, hunt the Judges down. Everyone else, clear the corridors and stay the fuck out of our way until the shooting stops. If I hear of anyone helping the Judges, I will kill them and the next generation of their family. As for the Judges...sit tight, or run. Makes no difference. You're mine.
- You're a piece of work, Dredd. But then so am I. You think I didn't know I'd get busted some day? Goes with the territory. This entire level is rigged with enough high explosives to take out the top 50 stories. If they go, the rest go, too. Like the jewelry? It's a transmitter synched to my heart beat. My heart stops beating, the building blows. Everyone in it, ash.
- See, if you're talking about my fucked-up head versus your fucked-up head, your fucked-up head is going to lose.
- You were shit out of luck when you ran into the Ma-Ma clan. But don't feel too bad. I seen a lot of Judges in my time, and you're just not cut out for this. I mean, if you didn't get killed today, it was going to be tomorrow. Or it was going to be the day after that. Anyway. Today it is.
- Judge Dredd: Release the hostage unharmed, and I guarantee you a sentence of life in an iso-cube without parole.
- Ethan Zwirner: Life without parole? That's the deal you're offering?
- Judge Dredd: Only if you comply. Your crimes include multiple homicide and the attempted murder of a Judge. If you do not comply, the sentence is death.
- Ethan Zwirner: You aren't a very good negotiator, Judge. You know why? You got no fucking leverage. Here's the deal. You let me walk or I blow her fucking brains out. Okay?
- Judge Dredd: Negotiation's over.
- Judge Guthrie: What can you tell me about the person I am with?
- Judge Cassandra Anderson: Male. Another Judge. I can feel anger. And control. But.....there's something else. Something....behind the control.
- Judge Guthrie: Sink or swim. Chuck her in the deep end.
- Judge Dredd: It's all the deep end.
- TJ: Madeline Madrigal, aka Ma-Ma. Ex-hooker from the S-9 pleasure district. Quit working when she got sliced up by a pimp. She got her own back. Block legend says she's feminized the guy with her teeth. Took over his business interests and never looked back. Anyone else, you'd say it was bullshit, right? Not with Ma-Ma. Her trademark is violence. Not so long ago, there were three main gangs hustling for control of Peach Trees. The Peyote Kings, the Red Dragons, the Judged. Then Ma-Ma arrived.
- Judge Cassandra Anderson: Sir, a helmet can interfere with my psychic abilities.
- Judge Dredd: Think a bullet might interfere with them more.
- Kay: You got any last words, bitch?
- Judge Cassandra Anderson: That's funny. I was going to ask you that. Bitch.
- Judge Dredd: What's the price of a Judge these days?
- Judge Lex: Million. Split four ways.
- Judge Dredd: Three ways now.
- Judge Lex: Suits me.
- Judge Dredd: Doesn't sound like much. To betray the law. Betray the city.
- Judge Lex: Save that shit for the rookies. Twenty years I have been on the streets. You know what Mega City One is, Dredd? It's a fucking meat grinder. People go in one end. And meat comes out the other. All we do is turn the handle.
- Judge Dredd: Wait.
- Judge Lex: Wait? Are you kidding me? Did you just say "wait"? Judge Dredd, the Judge Dredd, finally gets on the wrong end of a gun, and what he says is "wait." You know what? I expected more of you. I mean, wait for what? Wait for me to change my mind? Wait for another two or three seconds of life because you're so fucking weak you just can't stand to see it end?
- Judge Dredd: No. Wait for her to shoot you.
- Judge Dredd: Ready?
- Judge Cassandra Anderson: Yeah.
- Judge Dredd: You look ready.
- Judge Dredd: Mind explaining yourself, rookie? Abetting a felon is not just a fail offense. It's a crime.
- Judge Cassandra Anderson: I already picked up the fail when I lost my primary weapon. I am not going to be a Judge, and I don't need to be a mind-reader to know it. He's a victim, not a perp. And until my assessment is formally over, I am still entitled to dispense justice. And that's what I just did by letting him go. Maybe that will be the one difference I do make.
- Judge Guthrie: So, what happened in there?
- Judge Dredd: Drug bust.
- Judge Guthrie: Look like you been through it.
- Judge Dredd: Perps were uncooperative.
- Karl Urban - Judge Dredd
- Olivia Thirlby - Judge Cassandra Anderson
- Lena Headey - Madeline "Ma-Ma" Madrigal
- Wood Harris - Kay
- Domhnall Gleeson - Clan Techie
- Warrick Greer - Caleb
- Deobia Oparei - TJ
- Jason Cope - Ethan Zwirner
- Langley Kirkwood - Judge Lex