Dressed to Kill (1946 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Queen... of a Crime Cult! (taglines)
- Elementary, my dear fellow, one of the first principles in solving crime is never to disregard anything no matter how trivial.
- The truth is only arrived at... by the pain staking process of eliminating the untrue.
- However, it's a mistake to accept something that's true merely because it's obvious.
- [to a handcuffed Holmes, who is hanging from a beam] You find yourself like Muhammad's coffin, Mr. Holmes, suspended between Heaven and Earth.
- Mrs. Hilda Courtney: It's so fearfully awkward, having a dead body lying about. Don't you agree Mr. Holmes?
- Commissioner of Scotland Yard: Before going further, Dr. Watson, I must inform you that this matter is not to be mentioned outside of this room.
- Dr. John H Watson: [Indignantly] Of course not. Do I look like a man who'd gossip?
- Sherlock Holmes: Let's not go into that now, old fellow, shall we?
- Sherlock Holmes: [Holmes and Watson are in a pub to see Joe Cisto, a piano player. Holmes introduces Cisto to Watson] I want you to meet a friend of mine, Dr. Watson. Joe Cisto.
- Joe Cisto: Oh, well, any friend of Mr. Holmes is a friend of mine.
- Dr. John H Watson: How are you, Joe?
- Joe Cisto: He did me a good turn once that I'll never forget.
- Sherlock Holmes: Yes, I cleared Joe of a most unpleasant charge.
- Joe Cisto: Murder no less.
- Dr. John H Watson: Oh, really?
- Sherlock Holmes: By proving to the satisfaction of the police that he was busy at the time blowing open someone's safe.
- Colonel Cavanaugh: By this time Mr. Holmes has exchanged his violin for a harp.
- Mrs. Hilda Courtney: Oh, well, we're assuming Heaven is his destination.
- Dr. John H Watson: I say, Holmes?
- Sherlock Holmes: What?
- Dr. John H Watson: It's morning.
- Sherlock Holmes: Allow me to congratulate you on a brilliant bit of deduction.
- Dr. John H Watson: Holmes! You all right?
- Sherlock Holmes: Perfectly! Thank you, old fellow, but I think this gentleman on the floor requires some medical attention. We must see he looks his best, you know, when he's hanged.
- Inspector Hopkins: I still don't understand how you solved it, Mr. Holmes.
- Sherlock Holmes: It's entirely due to Doctor Watson. He gave me the clue when he mentioned Doctor Samuel Johnson.
- Inspector Hopkins: Well, congratulations, Doctor.
- Dr. John H Watson: Oh, thank you, Inspector. I don't think I could have done it entirely without Mr. Holmes' help, you know.
- Queen... of a Crime Cult!
- Basil Rathbone — Sherlock Holmes
- Nigel Bruce — Dr. John H. Watson
- Patricia Morison — Hilda Courtney/Charwoman
- Edmund Breon — "Stinky" Emery
- Frederick Worlock — Colonel Cavanaugh
- Carl Harbord — Inspector Hopkins
- Patricia Cameron — Evelyn Clifford
- Holmes Herbert — Ebenezer Crabtree
- Harry Cording — Hamid
- Mary Gordon — Mrs. Hudson