Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney and released on October 23, 1941, by RKO Radio Pictures. The main character is Dumbo, a semi-anthropomorphic elephant who is laughed at by the elephants, but in fact is capable of flying by using his ears as wings. Throughout most of the film, his only true friend aside from his mother is the mouse Timothy, a relationship parodying the stereotypical animosity between mice and elephants.
- Directed by Ben Sharpsteen. Written by Joe Grant and Dick Huemer.
The One...The Only...The FABULOUS... taglines
- [whistling]: All aboard! Let's go!
- [puffing up the hill] I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! I... Think... I... Can! I... [going downhill] ...Thought I could! I thought I could! I thought I could! I thought I could! I thought I could! Whoo-hoo!
Timothy Q. Mouse
- Remember, you come of a proud race. Why, you're a...a pachyderm, and pachyderms don't cry. What does crying get you, anyhow? Nothing but the hiccups!
- All we gotta do is build an act! Make ya a star! A headliner! Dumbo the great! [Fanfare plays as Dumbo hoists Timothy with his trunk.] Uh-oh. The great what? [Faltering fanfare as Dumbo lowers his trunk.]
- [As Dumbo falls off the platform, losing the feather on the way] Dumbo! C'mon, fly! Open them ears! The magic feather was just a gag! You can fly! Honest, you can! Hurry, open them up! PLEASE! [At the last moment, Dumbo opens his ears and soars over the crowd] WHEE! We did it! We did it! Let's show them, Dumbo! Power dive!
- Narrator: Through the snow and sleet and hail...through the blizzard, through the gale...through the wind and through the rain...over mountain, over plain...through the blinding lightning flash...and the mighty thunder crash...ever faithful, ever true...nothing stops him! He'll get through!
- Lion: [yawning] Oh, dear.
- Elephant Matriarch: I just would feel better than to spank the circus animals out of him- Oh! Ohh! Ohhhhhhh! [groaning]
- [Five crows find Dumbo and Timothy asleep in a tree]
- Specks Crow: Well, looky here! Looky here!
- Deacon Crow: My, my! Why, this is the most irregular sight I've ever seen!
- Dopey: [rubbing his eyes] Well, I just can't believe my eyes!
- Specks Crow: They ain't dead, is they?
- Fats Crow: [smirks] No. Dead people don't snore... [looks unsure] Or do they?
- [The crows quietly confer with each other, when Jim/Dandy Crow swoops down]
- Jim/Dandy Crow: What's all the ruckus? C'mon! Step aside, brother! Mmm...What's cookin' 'round here? What's the good news? What's fryin', boys?
- Specks Crow: Just look down there, brother!
- Fats Crow: And prepare yourself for a shock!
- Jim/Dandy Crow: [looks down and sees Dumbo and Timothy] OHO! Well, hush my beak!
- Dopey Crow: Go ahead. Wake 'em up, brother.
- Specks Crow: Yeah, find out what they're doin' up here.
- Deacon Crow: Yeah.
- Fats Crow: And ask 'em what they want.
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Okay, boys. Leave it to me.
- Timothy: [groaning] Oh, those pink elephants...
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Ah! Pink elephants! Mmmm-mm! [the crows laugh]
- Timothy: What's so funny? What are you birds doin' down here, anyway?
- Jim/Dandy Crow: What are we doin' DOWN here?! Well, hear him talk! [the crows laugh again]
- Timothy: Fly up a tree where you belong.
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Say, look here, Brother Rat-
- Timothy: [jolts up in fury] BROTHER RAT?! Now listen! I ain't your brother and I ain't no rat! See?!
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Uh-huh. And I suppose you and no elephant ain't up in no tree, either! [the crows laugh again]
- Timothy: [angrily] No, me and no tree ain't up no- Tree?
- Timothy: I wonder how we ever got up in that tree, anyway. Now, let's see...Elephants can't climb trees, can they? Nah, nah, that's ridiculous. I Couldn't jump up. Mm-mm, it's too high.
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Hey there, son! Maybe y'all flew up?
- Timothy: Maybe we flew up. Yeah, maybe we- [excited] That's it! Dumbo! You flew! Boy, am I stupid. Why didn't I think of this before?! Your ears! Just look at 'em, Dumbo- why, they're perfect wings! The very things that held ya down are gonna carry ya UP and UP and UP! I can see it all now! DUMBO! THE 9TH WONDER OF THE UNIVERSE! THE WORLD'S ONLY FLYING ELEPHANT!
- [The crows laugh hysterically]
- Specks Crow: Did you ever see an elephant fly?
- Deacon Crow: Well, I've seen a horse-fly...
- Fats Crow: Ah, I've seen a dragonfly...
- Dopey Crow: [giggling] I've seen a housefly!
- Jim/Dandy Crow: I've seen all that, too! [singing] I seen a peanut stand, and heard a rubber band! I seen a needle that winked its eye! But I be done seen about everything when I see a elephant fly!
- Timothy: [After the crows sing "When I See an Elephant Fly"] Alright, you wise birds! This has gone far enough!
- [The crows are still laughing]
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Quiet, gentleman! The Reverend Rodent is gonna ad-dress ya.
- Timothy: You oughtta be ashamed of yourselves! A bunch of big guys like you, picking on a poor little orphan like him. Suppose you was torn away from Mrs. Jumbo, when you was just for Dumbo. Nobody to tuck you in at nights. No warm, soft, caressing trunk to snuzzle into. How would you like to be left out alone in a cold, cruel, heartless world? And why, I ask you? Why?!? Just because he's got those big ears, they call him a freak! The girls laughing of the circus animals? And when Mrs. Jumbo, is tired to protect him, they Casey Junior, into the train. And on top of that, they made him of the camels, and tigers? Socially, he’s ice cream cone? Oh, but what's the use of talking to you cold-hearted birds? Go on! Have your fun! Laugh at him! Kick him now that he's down! Go on! We don't care. [He turns away and blows his nose. The crows cry] Come on, Dumbo. [They walk away]
- Jim/Dandy Crow: Hey, brother! Wait up! Don't go 'way feelin' like that. We've done seen the light. You boys is okay.
- Timothy: Please. You've done enough.
- Jim/Dandy Crow: But we's all fixing to help you. Ain't that the truth, boys? [The other crows agree] You wanna make the elephant fly, don't ya? Well, you have to use a lot of chology. You know, psy-chology. Fellas, gather round... [They huddle up] First you, uh... [Whispering] Then after that, you... [He then plucks a feather off Specks Crow's tail, and gives it to Timothy] Use the magic feather! Catch on?
- Timothy: The magic feather? [looks at the feather, which briefly glows in a "lightbulb idea" way] Yeah, I gotcha. Dumbo! [rushes to Dumbo, giving him the feather] Look! Have I got it! The magic feather! Now you can fly! [Dumbo looks at the feather, puzzled]
- Walt Disney's Latest...Most Lovable...Funable Characters!
- The One...The Only...The FABULOUS...
- Dumbo is the mute title character
- Edward Brophy - Timothy Q. Mouse
- Margaret Wright - Casey Junior
- Sterling Holloway - Mr. Stork
- Cliff Edwards - Jim/Dandy Crow
- Verna Felton - Elephant Matriarch / Mrs. Jumbo
- James Baskett - Fats Crow
- Nick Stewart - Specks Crow
- Hall Johnson Choir - Crows
- John McLeish - Narrator
- Dumbo quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- 1941 films
- 1940s American animated films
- American children's animated fantasy films
- American children's animated musical films
- Circus films
- Films about elephants
- Films about mice
- Traditionally animated films
- United States National Film Registry films
- Films about mother–son relationships
- The Walt Disney Company