Dunkirk (2017 film)
Dunkirk is a 2017 war film written, directed, and produced by Christopher Nolan that depicts the Dunkirk evacuation of World War II. Its ensemble cast includes Fionn Whitehead, Tom Glynn-Carney, Jack Lowden, Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard, James D'Arcy, Barry Keoghan, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, and Tom Hardy. The film is a British-American-French-Dutch co-production, and was distributed by Warner Bros.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [After Collin's plane ditches in the English Channel]
- Peter: Dad he's down. There's no chute. Dad, come on. There was no chute. He's probably dead.
- Mr Dawson: Dammit, I hear you Peter, I hear you! He may be alive! Maybe... We may be able to help him.
- Commander Bolton: You can practically see it from here.
- Colonel Winnant: What?
- Commander Bolton: Home.
- Colonel Winnant: The Royal Engineers are building piers from lorries. At least that should help us when the tide comes back.
- Commander Bolton: Well, we'll know in six hour's time.
- Colonel Winnant: I thought the tides were every three?
- Commander Bolton: Then it's good that you're army and I'm navy, isn't it.
- [Having just picked up a newspaper report of the evacuation]
- Alex: Can't bear it... You read it.
- Tommy: Can't bear it?
- Alex: They'll be spitting at us in the streets. If they're not locked up waiting for the invasion.
- Tommy: [last dialogue] We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be...
- Alex: What?
- Tommy: We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. and even if this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
- [Tommy remains silent as the film fades out]
- When 400,000 men couldn't get home. Home came for them
- (variant) 400,000 men couldn't get home. So home came for them.
- The event that shaped our world