Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The fear of the Lord gladdens the heart, giving happiness, joy and long life. Or those who fear the Lord, all will end well: on their dying day they will be blessed.
- NRSV, 1:12-13
- The crown of wisdom is to fear the Lord: she makes peace and health flourish. The Lord has seen and assessed her, he has showered down knowledge and intelligence, he has exalted the renown of those who possess her.
- NRSV, 1:18-19
- Do not act a part in public, keep watch over your lips.
- NRSV, 1:29
- He that diggeth a pit, shall fall into it: and he that setteth a stone for his neighbour, shall stumble upon it: and he that layeth a snare for another, shall perish in it.
- Two things bring grief to my heart, and a third arouses my anger: The wealthy reduced to want, the intelligent held in contempt, And those who pass from righteousness to sin— the Lord prepares them for the sword.
- 26:28 (New American Bible Revised Edition)
- The conversation of the godly is always wisdom, but the fool changes like the moon.
- 27:11 (New American Bible Revised Edition)
- Many refuse to lend, not out of meanness, but from fear of being cheated needlessly. But with those in humble circumstances be patient; do not keep them waiting for your alms. Because of the commandment, help the poor, and in their need, do not send them away empty-handed. Lose your money for relative or friend; do not hide it under a stone to rot. Dispose of your treasure according to the commandments of the Most High, and that will profit you more than the gold.
- 29:7-11 (New American Bible Revised Edition)
- Envy and anger shorten one’s days, and anxiety brings on premature old age.
- 30:24 (New American Bible Revised Edition)
- Beware of a counsellor. And know before what need he hath: for he will devise to his own mind.
- 37:9 DRB
- The wisdom of a scribe cometh by his time of leisure: and he that is less in action, shall receive wisdom.
- 38:25 DRB
- Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.
- 44:1 KJV