Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The line is a way of thinking in poetry, by poetry..it paces the poem.
- 'Five points' vol 4 no 2 Georgia State University Press Winter 2000
- These ruinous days of Autumn.At dusk,
the brightness seeps through the crumbling air,
at dusk the air gathers up the brightness
- 'The Renunciation of Poetry'
- I was never able to pray
but let me inscribe my name
in the book of waves.
- 'I was never able to pray'
How to Read a Poem And Fall in Love with Poetry (1998)
- Poetry is a voicing, a calling forth, words waiting to be vocalized.
- Inspiration is inbreathing, indwelling, poetry can never be entirely willed. It may be true a poet is given only a single line but that line is a gift from the unconscious, intution , a perception.
- There is no true poetry unconcious inspiration.
- For most of history poetry has been an oral art, it retains the vestiges of orality, an experience embedded in the sensuality of sounds.
- The poem is an original and unique creation, but it is reading and recitation: participation.
- The poet creates it; the people by recitation recreate it. Poet and reader (hearer) are moments of the same reality.
- The poem is an act beyond paraphrase because what is being said is always inseparable from the way it is being said.
- Poetry is a form of necessary speech.
Quotes about Hirsch
- Hirsch's poems are compassionate , reverential , sometimes relievingly ruthless.
- Review-'Los Angeles Times Book Review' by Dana Goodyear