Electric Light Orchestra
Electric Light Orchestra (often referred to as simply ELO) were a British rock group from Birmingham, England, who released eleven studio albums between 1971 and 1986 and another album in 2001. Initiated by Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, Lynne subsequently headed the band once Wood had left it soon after their first album.
Eldorado, A Symphony (1974)
- Midnight on the water
I saw the ocean's daughter
Walking on a wave's chicane
Staring as she called my name
And I can't get it out of my head
No, I can't get it out of my head
Now my old world is gone for dead
'Cos I can't get it out of my head
- "Can't Get It Out of My Head" ("Walking on a wave's chicane" are the official lyrics, but these are often heard and quoted as "Walking on a wave she came")
A New World Record (1976)
- It's a livin' thing.
It's a terrible thing to lose.
It's a given thing.
What a terrible thing to lose.
- My Shangri-la has gone away,
Faded like the Beatles on Hey Jude
She seemed to drift out on the rain
That came in somewhere softly from the blue.
Out of the Blue (1977)
- Sun is shining in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped raining
Everybody's in a play
And don't you know, it's a beautiful new day
- "Mr. Blue Sky"
- A place where nobody dared to go
the love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu
And now, open your eyes and see
what we have made is real
We are in Xanadu
A million lights are dancing and there you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me, eternally
- The love, the echoes of long ago
you needed the world to know
They are in Xanadu
The dream that came through a million years
That lived on through all the tears, it came to Xanadu
- As I gaze around at these strangers in town, I guess the only stranger is me.
As I see what they've done to this place that I love, shame is all that I feel.
- "The Way Life's Meant to Be"
- I've got a ticket to the moon.
I'll be leaving here any day soon
- "Ticket to the Moon"
- When you get so down that you can't get up, and you want so much but you're all out of luck
When you're so downhearted and misunderstood, just over and over and over, you could...
- "Hold On Tight"