Jeffrey "Jeff" Lynne (born 30 December 1947) is an English songwriter, composer, arranger, singer, multi-instrumentalist and record producer who gained fame in the 1970s as the leader and sole constant member of Electric Light Orchestra. In 1988, under the pseudonyms Otis Wilbury and Clayton Wilbury, he co-founded the supergroup Traveling Wilburys with George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty.
After ELO's original disbandment in 1986, Lynne released two solo albums: Armchair Theatre (1990) and Long Wave (2012). In addition, he began producing various artists, with his songwriting and production collaborations with ex-Beatles leading him to co-produce their mid-1990s reunion singles "Free as a Bird" (1995) and "Real Love" (1996).
- See also:
- I like the natural sound of a room. All the rooms have their own sound, so it's a matter of putting it where you like and seeing what it sounds like.
- On the placement of microphones in the production of the album Zoom, in "An Electric return for Jeff Lynne" at CNN (3 September 2001)
- At the end of the day I have to please myself. And I've made a record to please myself.
- On the album Zoom, in "An Electric return for Jeff Lynne" at CNN (3 September 2001)
Eldorado, A Symphony (1974)
- Midnight on the water
I saw the ocean's daughter
Walking on a wave's chicane
Staring as she called my name
And I can't get it out of my head
No, I can't get it out of my head
Now my old world is gone for dead
'Cos I can't get it out of my head
- "Can't Get It Out of My Head" ("Walking on a wave's chicane" are the official lyrics, but these are often heard and quoted as "Walking on a wave she came")
A New World Record (1976)
- It's a livin' thing.
It's a terrible thing to lose.
It's a given thing.
What a terrible thing to lose.
- My Shangri-la has gone away,
Faded like the Beatles on Hey Jude
She seemed to drift out on the rain
That came in somewhere softly from the blue.
- It was one of those nights
One of those nights
When you feel the world stop turning
You were standing there
There was music in the air
I should have been away
But I knew I had to stay
- Underneath a starry sky
Time was still but hours must really have rushed by
I didn't realize
But love was in your eyes
I really should have gone
But love went on and on
- Soundtack album of the film Xanadu
- A place where nobody dared to go
the love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu
And now, open your eyes and see
what we have made is real
We are in Xanadu
A million lights are dancing and there you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me, eternally
- The love, the echoes of long ago
you needed the world to know
They are in Xanadu
The dream that came through a million years
That lived on through all the tears, it came to Xanadu