Escape from New York
Escape from New York is a 1981 film set in the near future in a crime-ridden United States that has converted Manhattan Island in New York City into a maximum security prison. Ex-soldier Snake Plissken is given 24 hours to find the President of the United States, who has been captured after the crash of Air Force One.
- In 1988, the crime rate in the United States rises four hundred percent. The once great city of New York becomes the one maximum security prison for the entire country. A fifty-foot containment wall is erected along the New Jersey shoreline, across the Harlem River, and down along the Brooklyn shoreline. It completely surrounds Manhattan Island. All bridges and waterways are mined. The United States Police Force, like an army, is encamped around the island. There are no guards inside the prison, only prisoners and the worlds they have made. The rules are simple: once you go in, you don't come out.
- They sent in their best man, and when we roll across the 59th Street bridge tomorrow, on our way to freedom, we're going to have their best man leading the way - from the neck up! [cheering erupts] On the hood of my car! [more cheering]
- [as he shoots the Duke of New York] You're the Duke, but you're not all that!
- Romero: You touch me... he dies. If you're not in the air in thirty seconds... he dies. You come back in... he dies. [takes a package out of his shirt and unwraps it to reveal the President's middle finger, complete with ring] Twenty seconds.
- Bob Hauk: I'm ready to talk.
- Romero: Nineteen. Eighteen.
- Bob Hauk: What do you want?
- Romero: Seventeen. Sixteen.
- Bob Hauk: [to his soldiers] Let's go. Let's go!
- Bob Hauk: [reading Plissken's file] S.D. Plissken... American, Lieutenant: Special Forces Unit "Black Light". Two Purple Hearts, Leningrad and Siberia. Youngest man to be decorated by the President. Then you robbed the Federal Reserve Depository... life sentence, New York maximum security penitentiary. I'm about to kick your ass out of the world, war hero...
- Snake Plissken: [calmly strikes a match against Hauk's desk to light his cigarette and in a bored tone of voice] Who're you?
- Bob Hauk: Hauk, Police Commissioner.
- Snake Plissken: Bob Hauk...
- Bob Hauk: Special Forces Unit "Texas Thunder"... we heard of you too, Plissken.
- Bob Hauk: There was an accident. About an hour ago, a small jet went down inside New York City. The President was on board.
- Snake Plissken: The president of what?
- Bob Hauk: You go in, find the President, bring him out in 24 hours, and you're a free man.
- Snake Plissken: 24 hours, huh?
- Bob Hauk: I'm making you an offer.
- Snake Plissken: Bullshit!
- Bob Hauk: Straight just like I said.
- Snake Plissken: I'll think about it.
- Bob Hauk: No time. Give me an answer.
- Snake Plissken: Get a new president!
- Bob Hauk: We're still at war, Plissken. We need him alive.
- Snake Plissken: I don't give a fuck about your war... or your president.
- Bob Hauk: Is that your answer?
- Snake Plissken: I'm thinking about it.
- Bob Hauk: Think hard.
- Snake Plissken: [pause] Why me?
- Bob Hauk: You flew the Gullfire over Leningrad. You know how to get in quiet. You're all I got.
- Snake Plissken: [pause] I guess I go in one way or the other... doesn't mean shit to me. All right... I'll do it. Give me the pardon paper.
- Bob Hauk: When you come out.
- Snake Plissken: Before.
- Bob Hauk: I told you I wasn't a fool, Plissken.
- Snake Plissken: Call me Snake.
- Bob Hauk: Remember, once you're inside you're on your own.
- Snake Plissken: Oh, you mean I can't count on you?
- Bob Hauk: No.
- Snake Plissken: Good!
- Snake Plissken: [radioing a pullout request] All right, get your machine ready, I'm coming out.
- Bob Hauk: 18 hours left, Plissken!
- Snake Plissken: Listen to me, Hauk. The President is dead, you got that? Somebody's had him for dinner!
- Bob Hauk: Plissken, if you get back in that glider and fly back here without the tape or the President, I'll shoot you down myself! You try to climb out, I'll burn you off the wall! Do you understand that, Plissken?
- Snake Plissken: [pause] No human compassion.
- Snake Plissken: Where's the President?
- Cabbie: The Duke got him. Everybody knows the Duke's got him. You don't have to put a gun to my head. I'll tell you.
- Snake Plissken: Who's the Duke?
- Cabbie: The Duke? The Duke of New York, A-Number-1, the Big Man, that's who!
- Snake Plissken: I wanna meet this Duke.
- Cabbie: You can't meet the Duke! Are you crazy? Nobody gets to meet the Duke. You meet him once and then you're dead!
- Bob Hauk: You going to kill me, Snake?
- Snake Plissken: Not now, I'm too tired. [pause] Maybe later.
- Bob Hauk: We'd make one hell of a team, Snake!
- Snake Plissken: The name's Plissken!
- The world's greatest leader is a hostage in the most dangerous place on Earth. Now only the deadliest man alive can save him.
- 1997. New York City is now a maximum security prison. Breaking out is impossible. Breaking in is insane.
- New York City has become the only maximum security prison for the entire country. Once you go in, you don't come out... until today.
- Kurt Russell - Snake Plissken
- Lee Van Cleef - Bob Hauk
- Ernest Borgnine - Cabbie
- Donald Pleasence - President of the United States
- Isaac Hayes - The Duke of New York City
- Harry Dean Stanton - Harold "Brain" Hellman
- Adrienne Barbeau - Maggie
- Tom Atkins - Rehme
- Charles Cyphers - United States Secretary of State
- Frank Doubleday - Romero
- Ox Baker - Slag
- Jamie Lee Curtis - computer voice and film narrator