Jump to navigation Jump to search
Excess refers to amounts or behaviors that go beyond what is necessary, usual, normal, or proper.
- EXCESS, n. In morals, an indulgence that enforces by appropriate penalties the law of moderation.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Cynic's Dictionary (1906); republished as The Devil's Dictionary (1911).
- No person may enjoy outstanding success without good health. Many of the causes of ill health are subject to mastery and control. These, in the main are: a. Overeating of foods not conducive to health. b. Wrong habits of thought... c. Wrong use of, and over indulgence in sex. d. Lack of proper physical exercise e. An inadequate supply of fresh air, due to improper breathing.... The most damaging forms of intemperance are connected with eating, strong drink, and sexual activities. Overindulgence in any of these is fatal to success...
- Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich (1938)
- Whenever there is excess, an axe remedies it!