Exorcist II: The Heretic
Exorcist II: The Heretic is a 1977 American horror film and the sequel to The Exorcist (1973), directed by John Boorman from a screenplay by William Goodhart and starring Linda Blair, Richard Burton, Louise Fletcher, Max von Sydow, James Earl Jones, Ned Beatty and Kitty Winn.
- Father Lamont: Father Lankester Merrin died in Georgetown, near Washington, D.C., while attempting to exorcise a 12-year-old child, Regan MacNeil. The name of the spirit that possessed her was Pazuzu, an Assyrian demon traditionally known as the king of the evil spirits of the air. Father Merrin had first encountered this demon in Ethiopia forty years earlier, when it possessed a young African boy. Father Merrin believed the human spirit was on the threshold of a great leap forward -- either into goodness or evil. His teachings inspired many disciples, of which I was one, and his death dispirited us deeply. So it was that four years later, I climbed a hill in South America with a heavy heart, for it had fallen to me to carry on Father Merrin's struggle.
- Father Lamont: I've flown this route before. It was on the wings of a demon.
- Father Lamont: Pazuzu, king of the evil spirits of the air, help me to find Kokumo!
- Father Lamont: When the wings have brushed you... is there no hope once the wings have brushed you?
- Pazuzu: No! Once the wings have brushed you, you're mine forever!
- Older Kokumo: If Pazuzu comes for you, I will spit a leopard.
- The Cardinal: You're in dire need of prayer. I suggest you make a retreat.
- Father Lamont: A retreat? Why not an advance?
- Regan MacNeil: Was it in Africa?
- Father Lamont: Yes.
- Dr. Gene Tuskin: How do you know that?
- Regan MacNeil: Well, it looked like something I saw at the natural history museum.
- Dr. Gene Tuskin: But you weren't supposed to remember anything.
- Regan MacNeil: I know.
- Regan MacNeil: Call me by my dream name. Call me!
[regarding the Catholic church]
- Father Lamont: Satan has become an embarrassment to our progressive views.
- Sharon: All the time, I longed to see her. Finally, I came back and found that when I'm with her is the only time when I'm at peace. Why would that be? I can't understand it, it frightens me!
- Father Lamont: Have you tried a psychiatrist or a priest?
- Sharon: I'm talking to one now, aren't I?
- Father Lamont: Don't you understand... that I was face to face with the Evil that's inside her. Your machine has proved scientifically that there's an ancient demon locked within her!
- Father Lamont: You've got to fight that demon that's inside her! It's preventing her from reaching full spiritual power!
- Linda Blair as Regan McNeil
- Richard Burton as Father Philip Lamont
- Louise Fletcher as Dr. Gene Tuskin
- Max von Sydow as Father Merrin
- Kitty Winn as Sharon Spencer
- Paul Henreid as The Cardinal
- James Earl Jones as Older Kokumo
- Ned Beatty as Edwards
- Belinda Beatty as Liz
- Rose Portillo as Spanish Girl
- Ken Renard as Abbot
- Barbara Cason as Mrs. Phalor
- Joey Green as Young Kokumo
- Dana Plato as Sanda Phalor (uncredited)
- Karen Knapp as Pazuzu (uncredited)