Exorcist II: The Heretic
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Exorcist II: The Heretic is a 1977 American horror film about a girl once possessed by a demon who finds that it still lurks within her. Meanwhile, a priest investigates the death of the girl's exorcist. It is the sequel to The Exorcist.
It's four years later...what does she remember? (tagline)
- Call me by my dream name. Call me!
- Father Lankester Merrin died in Georgetown, near Washington, D.C., while attempting to exorcise a 12-year-old child, Regan MacNeil. The name of the spirit that possessed her was Pazuzu, an Assyrian demon traditionally known as the king of the evil spirits of the air. Father Merrin had first encountered this demon in Ethiopia forty years earlier, when it possessed a young African boy. Father Merrin believed the human spirit was on the threshold of a great leap forward—either into goodness or evil. His teachings inspired many disciples, of which I was one, and his death dispirited us deeply. So it was that four years later, I climbed a hill in South America with a heavy heart, for it had fallen to me to carry on Father Merrin's struggle.
- I've flown this route before. It was on the wings of a demon.
- When the wings have brushed you... is there no hope once the wings have brushed you?
- [regarding the Catholic church] Satan has become an embarrassment to our progressive views.
- You've got to fight that demon that's inside her! It's preventing her from reaching full spiritual power!
- Don't you understand... that I was face to face with the Evil that's inside her. Your machine has proved scientifically that there's an ancient demon locked within her!
- You realize what you're up against, don't you? Evil. Evil is a spiritual being, alive and living, perverted and perverting, weaving its way insidiously into the very fabric of life.
- The power... it's getting nearer. Can't you feel it? The power is immense. It fills me. I can do anything.
- It was horrible. Utterly horrible... and fascinating.
- Pazuzu: No! Once the wings have brushed you, you're mine forever!
- Older Kokumo: If Pazuzu comes for you, I will spit a leopard.
- Regan MacNeil: What's the matter with you?
- Sandra Phalor: [hesitant, stuttering] I'm autistic.
- Regan MacNeil: How do you mean?
- Sandra Phalor: I'm withdrawn. I can't talk.
- Regan MacNeil: But you're talking now.
- [Sandra shakes her head no]
- Regan MacNeil: Yes, you are. I can hear you.
- Sandra Phalor: You can hear me?
- Regan MacNeil: Sure!
- Sandra Phalor: [pause] What's the matter with you?
- Regan MacNeil: I was possessed by a demon. Oh, it's okay. He's gone!
- The Cardinal: You're in dire need of prayer. I suggest you make a retreat.
- Father Lamont: A retreat? Why not an advance?
- Regan MacNeil: Was it in Africa?
- Father Lamont: Yes.
- Dr. Gene Tuskin: How do you know that?
- Regan MacNeil: Well, it looked like something I saw at the natural history museum.
- Dr. Gene Tuskin: But you weren't supposed to remember anything.
- Regan MacNeil: I know.
- Sharon: All the time, I longed to see her. Finally, I came back and found that when I'm with her is the only time when I'm at peace. Why would that be? I can't understand it, it frightens me!
- Father Lamont: Have you tried a psychiatrist or a priest?
- Sharon: I'm talking to one now, aren't I?
- Father Lamont: Merrin defeated you.
- Pazuzu: No, in his own place of power he gained a little time. That's all.
- Father Lamont: It was because the boy was a healer. That's why you attacked him. Now I see. But Merrin saved him.
- Pazuzu: Never! I could claim Kokumo even now. I'll show you power.
- Father Lamont: He's still alive! Where is he?
- Pazuzu: You want me to take you to him?
- Father Lamont: Yes.
- Pazuzu: Are you sure?
- Father Lamont: Show me.
- Pazuzu: [Pazuzu's and Regan's voice speaking at the same time] Come, fly the teeth of the wind. Share my wings.
- It's four years later...what does she remember?
- Linda Blair - Regan McNeil
- Richard Burton - Father Philip Lamont
- Louise Fletcher - Dr. Gene Tuskin
- Max von Sydow - Father Merrin
- Kitty Winn - Sharon Spencer
- Paul Henreid - The Cardinal
- James Earl Jones - Older Kokumo
- Ned Beatty - Edwards
- Belinda Beatty - Liz
- Rose Portillo - Spanish Girl
- Ken Renard - Abbot
- Barbara Cason - Mrs. Phalor
- Joey Green - Young Kokumo
- Dana Plato - Sanda Phalor
- Karen Knapp - Pazuzu