Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fay Weldon CBE (born Franklin Birkinshaw on 22 September 1931) is an English novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Her best-known work may be her novel The Life and Loves of a She-Devil, filmed as She-Devil.
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Go to work on an egg.
- Advertising slogan originated by the Mather & Crowther agency for the British Egg Marketing Board, and used from 1957. 
- Fay Weldon wrote to Nigel Rees in 1981: "I was certainly in charge of copy [at Mather & Crowther] at the time…Who invented it, it would be hard to say. It is perfectly possible, indeed probable, that I put those six particular words together in that particular order but I would not swear to it." (The "Quote…Unquote" Newsletter, July 1992, p. 2).
- Fortunately, there is more to life than death. There is for one thing, fiction. A thousand thousand characters to be sent marching out into the world to divert time from its forward gallop to the terrible horizon.
- Down Among the Women (Harmondsworth: Penguin,  1973) p. 172.
- The New Women! I could barely recognize them as being of the same sex as myself…They are satiated by everything, hungry for nothing. They are what I wanted to be; they are what I worked for them to be: and now I see them, I hate them.
- Praxis (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1978) p. 9.
- Young women especially have something invested in being nice people, and it's only when you have children that you realise you’re not a nice person at all, but generally a selfish bully.
- Widows tend either to fade away when husbands die, committing emotional suttee, or else find that a new life burgeons. Here in Christchurch, a lot of burgeoning goes on.
- I like sex. I've had feedback but men will feed you back anything, won't they?
- One sort of believes in recycling. But one believes in it as a kind of palliative to the gods.
- I wonder if my shrink (sorry, psychiatrist) was a woman not a man I'd be in a better or worse state?
- The Heart of the Country (1987)